How difficult is it to sell coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
776
Reaction score
422
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult is it to sell coral frags? I'm not looking to sell them here. I'm just curious if anyone has been successful in selling frags. For those who do sell frags, does it offset the expense of the hobby?
 
Cant give some of it away and I sell my frags cheap. Not trying to really make money, just cover time and supplies. I hate throwing out coral. Im starting to get over it. Unless they are high end, good luck.
I'm going to start a nano reef tank and was just curious what to do with the excess coral.
 
Have had some success with locals - but the best way is to get close to your LFS so they can sell them for you.
For me between snails and frags, i would have averaged $200 in sales a week over the last few months.
 
When I do sell frags either I was able to snag a frag off a colony or I get one and then decide to sell it,its gotten way harder than it used to be. I already sell WAY below what I paid for it if I can and majority of the time I still can't get rid of stuff. Reefers have gotten super super cheap.

But people will send $3k-$4k on a setup and take pics that look like it was taken with a potato lol.
 
Much like aquarium maintenance costs, I’ve found a lot of inexperienced reefers have no idea how expensive even pedestrian corals are. You’d be surprised how many people expect a healthy coral frag to cost $5-$10, and are shocked when they’re $30-$40. So it’s harder than you’d think to move them.
 
When I do sell frags either I was able to snag a frag off a colony or I get one and then decide to sell it,its gotten way harder than it used to be. I already sell WAY below what I paid for it if I can and majority of the time I still can't get rid of stuff. Reefers have gotten super super cheap.

But people will send $3k-$4k on a setup and take pics that look like it was taken with a potato lol.
It's like cabinetry people don't pay a huge amount for hand made furniture because it's cheaper to buy it at Ashley.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new