How do I get rid of frag plugs because I hate them but i don’t have a saw ? And if I do get them off how do I just flew my coral to the rock.

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah you guys saw my title and h just want to know because they are so ugly. Also I have montipora, zoas, torches, and some weird purple coral that looks like a bird nest which are all on plugs.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy and use coral fragging tools like bone cutters or even regular tools, like a diagonal cutter

OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy and use coral fragging tools like bone cutters or even regular tools, like a diagonal cutter
Yeah I ordered some to frag corals in the future but didn’t know they cut the plugs but do I just glue the coral down at the bottom part to the rock?

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I ordered some to frag corals in the future but didn’t know they cut the plugs but do I just glue the coral down at the bottom part to the rock?
Depends on the coral, softies like zoas I personally do not remove from the plug but I do remove as much of the plug as I can before gluing. Some Lps you remove their skeleton from the disc and glue to the rock, same with sps. Brs and Fragbox tv on YouTube have good videos on placing corals and how to go about cutting plugs.

cskc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go-to tools for frag plug removal

Attachments

• fragCutter.jpg
    fragCutter.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 46

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove any and all frag plugs i possibly can and cut the others down to the bare minimum like CSKC with a dremel or bone cutters.
Then I glue them to a piece of rubble or rock in my tank.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, bone cutters is what I use, but some plugs like the brown ones from ORA are made out of Titanium!! or something, and I don't have a dremel...so those get left on unfortunately, as they are practically impossible to cut.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, bone cutters is what I use, but some plugs like the brown ones from ORA are made out of Titanium!! or something, and I don't have a dremel...so those get left on unfortunately, as they are practically impossible to cut.
Metal Scotty Peeler. Hands down the best way to break the CA bond to the ceramic plugs.

Word of warning, be safe and smart when handling them and cutting coral from the plug, push AWAY, these things have a razor edge. Push into the superglue, and lift, push a little more, lift a little more, the frag won't go flying, and eventually you'll walk it far enough to break the frag free of it's plug.

Or you can crush the plug in a vise. I have a machinists vice that's too scarred up for actual machining, works great.

Aquaplumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had a reef tool kit I used chisels, garden pruners, knifes, side cutters. Pretty much anything I could get my hands on

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used a diamond saw with a dremel and bone cutters for sps and lps. The dremel goes through it like it’s butter. I don’t remove soft corals. As you can see in my zoa garden you can’t even tell there are plugs there.
D085D961-AAFB-44C8-B5F8-1289ABC54B93.jpeg

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those things suck badly. I have in the past just taken whatever potential pain/loss and cut the frag at the base and not put that ORA plug in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back