How do I get rid of these algae?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Public aquariums use lanthanum chloride in their large exhibit tanks to control phosphates. I understand Randy's concerns, but public aquariums have shown over decades that the CORRECT use of lanthanum chloride is safe and effective. Also the precipitate that forms can be caught using a 10 micron sock = export.

The Redfield ratio is not one number for a specific species of algae or phytoplankton. It is more of a range, and limitations in one element can cause shifts in the makeup of an organisms C:N: P. If you want a more in depth understanding then I recommend checking out Kevin Arrigo paper on global nutrient cycle. Falling within the common Redfield ratio for a phytoplankton does not mean it will grow faster. It just states what the makeup of the organism is. In reef keeping we notoriously shift the balance between nitrogen and phosphate. We have little practical control over carbon. The foods we feed also tend not to have a balance in nitrogen and phosphate. Now WWC and BRS have released videos on what they focus on to keep their corals thriving and doing so well (I don't think anyone would dispute WWC's success in reef keeping). If you don't want to watch this entire video then start at 8:53, he blatantly states low phosphate is more effective than low nitrates for fighting nuisance algae.

Beyond that Minnesota Pollution Control Agency goes over excess run off in local lakes (local for me at least) that is causing massive amounts of algae blooms. Their study showed agriculture nitrate and phosphate runoff leading to issues in the lakes, stressing that the excess phosphate runoff is the largest force leading to the algae blooms.

I had already viewed the BRS video. It was enjoyable to watch it again. Obviously, there is more than one way to “skin a cat”.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Public aquariums use lanthanum chloride in their large exhibit tanks to control phosphates. I understand Randy's concerns, but public aquariums have shown over decades that the CORRECT use of lanthanum chloride is safe and effective. Also the precipitate that forms can be caught using a 10 micron sock = export.

The Redfield ratio is not one number for a specific species of algae or phytoplankton. It is more of a range, and limitations in one element can cause shifts in the makeup of an organisms C:N: P. If you want a more in depth understanding then I recommend checking out Kevin Arrigo paper on global nutrient cycle. Falling within the common Redfield ratio for a phytoplankton does not mean it will grow faster. It just states what the makeup of the organism is. In reef keeping we notoriously shift the balance between nitrogen and phosphate. We have little practical control over carbon. The foods we feed also tend not to have a balance in nitrogen and phosphate. Now WWC and BRS have released videos on what they focus on to keep their corals thriving and doing so well (I don't think anyone would dispute WWC's success in reef keeping). If you don't want to watch this entire video then start at 8:53, he blatantly states low phosphate is more effective than low nitrates for fighting nuisance algae.

Beyond that Minnesota Pollution Control Agency goes over excess run off in local lakes (local for me at least) that is causing massive amounts of algae blooms. Their study showed agriculture nitrate and phosphate runoff leading to issues in the lakes, stressing that the excess phosphate runoff is the largest force leading to the algae blooms.

I had already viewed the BRS video. It was enjoyable to watch it again, this time with popcorn.

Obviously, there is more than one way to “skin a cat”.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back