How do I know if I'm dosing enough phyto?

Blake Fabian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this ~22 year old clam plus a much smaller Gigas clam. I dose phyto every other day however, I am curious, how do I know if it's enough/too much? Is there a way to measure it?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have this ~22 year old clam plus a much smaller Gigas clam. I dose phyto every other day however, I am curious, how do I know if it's enough/too much? Is there a way to measure it?

Assuming the rest of the tank is stable, I truly don't think you can overdose live phyto. Dead phyto, yes, but live cultured phyto no. I culture my own phyto and am going out of town tomorrow, since I can't shake the bottle daily I'm just going to dump about a liter or more into my 32 gallon tank before I leave to use it all up.

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the rest of the tank is stable, I truly don't think you can overdose live phyto. Dead phyto, yes, but live cultured phyto no. I culture my own phyto and am going out of town tomorrow, since I can't shake the bottle daily I'm just going to dump about a liter or more into my 32 gallon tank before I leave to use it all up.
You should measure params and take pics before and after and post here.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The clam doesn't care if you dose phyto or not, as it's not the most important thing. Dose phyto for the whole tank, not the clam. You'll know if you dose too much, as PO4 will rise.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back