how do i know if my RO/DI membrane is still intact?

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to tell if the membrane is still working? I ran hot water through it for a few minutes

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have 96% or better rejection rate of TDS of your waste water compared to your water on the RODI membrane output.

If you don't have TDS sensors, or can't borrow some, you can always just play it safe and replace the membrane.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have 96% or better rejection rate of TDS of your waste water compared to your water on the RODI membrane output.

If you don't have TDS sensors, or can't borrow some, you can always just play it safe and replace the membrane.
i do have TDS sensors, where do i check?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have TDS sensors, where do i check?
The ultimate check would be to put one on the inlet to the RODI and one on the outlet to see if it's lowering tds substantially.

If you have a BRS 5 stage like me, the TDS sensors IN is the output to the RODI and OUT is on the output of the DI canister. You could test this by checking the IN value of the TDS sensor with the RO membrane out of the housing and turn on the system (this will kill DI resin pretty fast so only do this long enough to get a source reading). Then put the membrane and see if the TDS is appreciably lower.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ultimate check would be to put one on the inlet to the RODI and one on the outlet to see if it's lowering tds substantially.

If you have a BRS 5 stage like me, the TDS sensors IN is the output to the RODI and OUT is on the output of the DI canister. You could test this by checking the IN value of the TDS sensor with the RO membrane out of the housing and turn on the system (this will kill DI resin pretty fast so only do this long enough to get a source reading). Then put the membrane and see if the TDS is appreciably lower.
i have a regular TDS pen that i can check my source water with

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there a tool or something to open the membrane container?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a tool or something to open the membrane container?
They do make a membrane housing wrench. Try and crank on it. They aren't as tight as they seem most of the time.

That's a lot of heat for a membrane. I'd throw them out if it was me. Not worth the risk imo.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make a membrane housing wrench. Try and crank on it. They aren't as tight as they seem most of the time.

That's a lot of heat for a membrane. I'd throw them out if it was me. Not worth the risk imo.
Thanks I got it open with an oil filter wrench. Ya, it was only doing 50% rejection of tds. The water that I did make with it previously, I should probably discard it? Even though it reads 0? Is the melted plastic and stuff in there? Should I replace the other media as well? Carbon and filter?

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sediment is fine I'm sure, pull carbons and look for melting, toss any water you made.
Edit:I do not know the temp limits of carbon blocks. Post if you find it.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back