How do i move these corals?

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im looking to buy the corals, fish, and light(AI Prime) from this guy and in wondering how do i move it to my tank. Currently my tank(40 Gallon Breeder) is empty and I have two bags of carib sea sand. I have yet to fill it up yet because im planning on using the original tanks water for the majority and topping off the rest with fresh made. I don't know if this is the right thing to do or just fill up the tank completely as is with sand and freshly made saltwater. Sorry for the ranting, im a new reefer and don't rly know what to do.

Screenshot_20240107_163200_Chrome.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also buying the live rock? If not, you’re probably going to kill everything by moving into a new tank without an established bio filter

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah everything but the tank itself.
Set your tank up with the new sand and have new water on hand.. buy that tank and bring everything in a cooler except his sand and fill your tank up, top off with fresh salt water like you planned and enjoy.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Make sure your tank is set up and running with salt water at the proper temperature, making sure salinity matches what he has in his tank. Then it’s as simple as putting everything from his tank with his water into a cooler or other sturdy watertight easily movable container. Corals are quite resilient, making sure they have a sound home to settle into is more important than the moving itself.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah everything but the tank itself.
1. Fill your new tank with new water. Turn on the pump(s) and heater.

1.1 *If you can, add some of the rock from the other tank now.

2. Let the cloudiness from the new sand settle. This could take several days depending on your filtration.

2.1 *If you want to be extra safe, add a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start. Since you're moving the old tank's existing biofilter into the new tank, there should not be a problem with having adequate bacteria for nitrification, but adding the bottle won't hurt.

3. Add the remaining rocks, coral, and fish.

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your tank up with the new sand and have new water on hand.. buy that tank and bring everything in a cooler except his sand and fill your tank up, top off with fresh salt water like you planned and enjoy.
So like do i put the sand in once i already have everything else home or do i set up the tank as normal and fill it up first then empty it somewhat once i have all the corals and live rock.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like do i put the sand in once i already have everything else home or do i set up the tank as normal and fill it up first then empty it somewhat once i have all the corals and live rock.
The second option. Read my post :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way works fine. It’s only as hard as you make it. I’m not sure the size of the tank you’re buying is compared to your 40 gal.. you could do the sand and fill half of it with water and then grab everything and fill it up.

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way works fine. It’s only as hard as you make it. I’m not sure the size of the tank you’re buying is compared to your 40 gal.. you could do the sand and fill half of it with water and then grab everything and fill it up.
Its a 27 gallon aquatop.

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, there's no reason you can't use some of the old tank water, but it will only be of negligible benefit and IMO, giving the sand time to settle is more important.
Ok so like rn should i fill it up halfway or like completely with saltwater and the sand. Because i plan to use the old tank water as well.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so like rn should i fill it up halfway or like completely with saltwater and the sand. Because i plan to use the old tank water as well.
Personally, if I had enough fresh saltwater to fill the whole tank, I'd opt for that. My previous comment was just to say that there's no issue with using some of the old water... You'll obviously be using the old tank water to pack/move the fish, coral, and rock, and you may be surprised at how dirty that water gets during the move.

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if I had enough fresh saltwater to fill the whole tank, I'd opt for that. My previous comment was just to say that there's no issue with using some of the old water... You'll obviously be using the old tank water to pack/move the fish, coral, and rock, and you may be surprised at how dirty that water gets during the move.
Ah ok I'll fill it up rn then completly and just wait for until i get everything else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back