How do I plumb my sump?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s kind of a dumb question but I just wanted to know how others had their sump plumbed and share my idea for mine and take any recommendations on what to change or add. So I’m planning a 29 gal reef tank with 20 long sump under it. I have a drilled overflow box rated for 400gph. I was planning on using 3/4” hard plumbing for the overflow and emergency overflow. One 90° Fitting to go into stand and then another 90° fitting to go down into sump for both. Including a valve on the overflow to control it for any reason. And then on my controllable return pump run 3/4” soft silicone tubing almost all the way up and then change to hard 3/4” pvc for the return assembly. I’m using a bulkhead that’ll go to loc-line hose and then a loc-line flair. A couple questions regarding this. First off, how does that plan sound? Second off I’ve read the soft silicone tube on return makes it a lot quieter so will I lose any of that silencing affect by switching to hard plumbing? Do I need a check-valve in my return? How do I switch from soft tubing to the pvc? I’ll take any recommendations or opinions or just showing off what you have set up. Thank you!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need a check-valve in my return?
Only if your return lines are very far under water. Its better to drill a hole in the return near the surface. It will break the back siphon when the pump is off. Check valves can fail.

How do I switch from soft tubing to the pvc?
Many barbs avail

Second off I’ve read the soft silicone tube on return makes it a lot quieter so will I lose any of that silencing affect by switching to hard plumbing?[/QUOTE]
No, as long as there is a soft section right after the pump output.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if your return lines are very far under water. Its better to drill a hole in the return near the surface. It will break the back siphon when the pump is off. Check valves can fail.

Many barbs avail

Second off I’ve read the soft silicone tube on return makes it a lot quieter so will I lose any of that silencing affect by switching to hard plumbing?
No, as long as there is a soft section right after the pump output.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for that response. Answered all my questions and cleared all my doubts. Thank you again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back