Plumbing return line with hard or soft plumbing

Lex_510

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2020
Messages
237
Reaction score
69
Location
Ceres
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going back and forth on plumbing a 75 gallon tank for return lines, my 1inch drains x3 overflow will be PVC, so it ok to soft plumbing for the return. What’s the durability? any leaks to be worried about? I want to plumb 2 -3/4 returns on each side
 
So I’m going back and forth on plumbing a 75 gallon tank for return lines, my 1inch drains x3 overflow will be PVC, so it ok to soft plumbing for the return. What’s the durability? any leaks to be worried about? I want to plumb 2 -3/4 returns on each side
That braided pvc lasts donkeys years.
 
Soft plumbing should be fine- we have very low pressure in our tanks- the only thing to worry about is the flexibility of the tubing and to be careful with kinking.
 
Either is fine. It can be good to have at least some soft plumbing on the return, to dampen vibration from the pump.
 
Either works fine... But whatever you do make sure you have a soft transition from pump to hard or super stiff braided. The soft silicone transition reduces vibration ten fold
 
I ran 2 -1” return lines on my 75 back in 1998. Those vinyl hoses are still on my overflows now. So I would not think twice about using soft lines long term. They will outlast your interest in the hobby, for sure.
Ugh I'll never leave this hobby unless I become homeless.. than again I may become homeless because of the hobby
 
I've been using the soft silicone tubing for over 4 years now. Never an issue and its does not harden like the vinyl tubing will and is super easy to work with. I'd imagine it is easier to kink but if you you flex it that much then any other flexible tubing would likely kink as well. After 4 years the only drawback I can find is expense but it's worth it in my opinion.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new