Plumbing return line with hard or soft plumbing

Ecotech Marine

Lex_510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I’m going back and forth on plumbing a 75 gallon tank for return lines, my 1inch drains x3 overflow will be PVC, so it ok to soft plumbing for the return. What’s the durability? any leaks to be worried about? I want to plumb 2 -3/4 returns on each side

Top Shelf Aquatics

Garf

View Badges
Reaction score
So I’m going back and forth on plumbing a 75 gallon tank for return lines, my 1inch drains x3 overflow will be PVC, so it ok to soft plumbing for the return. What’s the durability? any leaks to be worried about? I want to plumb 2 -3/4 returns on each side
That braided pvc lasts donkeys years.

Tono

View Badges
Reaction score
Soft plumbing should be fine- we have very low pressure in our tanks- the only thing to worry about is the flexibility of the tubing and to be careful with kinking.

Budmans

Hallowhead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I ran 2 -1” return lines on my 75 back in 1998. Those vinyl hoses are still on my overflows now. So I would not think twice about using soft lines long term. They will outlast your interest in the hobby, for sure.
Ugh I'll never leave this hobby unless I become homeless.. than again I may become homeless because of the hobby

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
I've been using the soft silicone tubing for over 4 years now. Never an issue and its does not harden like the vinyl tubing will and is super easy to work with. I'd imagine it is easier to kink but if you you flex it that much then any other flexible tubing would likely kink as well. After 4 years the only drawback I can find is expense but it's worth it in my opinion.

Are you currently running a reactor and media on your reef tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 113 39.1%
  • NO but I run media from time to time

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • NO I don't use filter media

Votes: 82 28.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 2.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Emerald Reef Supply