Plumbing return line with hard or soft plumbing

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going back and forth on plumbing a 75 gallon tank for return lines, my 1inch drains x3 overflow will be PVC, so it ok to soft plumbing for the return. What’s the durability? any leaks to be worried about? I want to plumb 2 -3/4 returns on each side

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going back and forth on plumbing a 75 gallon tank for return lines, my 1inch drains x3 overflow will be PVC, so it ok to soft plumbing for the return. What’s the durability? any leaks to be worried about? I want to plumb 2 -3/4 returns on each side
That braided pvc lasts donkeys years.

Tono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft plumbing should be fine- we have very low pressure in our tanks- the only thing to worry about is the flexibility of the tubing and to be careful with kinking.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either is fine. It can be good to have at least some soft plumbing on the return, to dampen vibration from the pump.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either works fine... But whatever you do make sure you have a soft transition from pump to hard or super stiff braided. The soft silicone transition reduces vibration ten fold

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 -1” return lines on my 75 back in 1998. Those vinyl hoses are still on my overflows now. So I would not think twice about using soft lines long term. They will outlast your interest in the hobby, for sure.
Ugh I'll never leave this hobby unless I become homeless.. than again I may become homeless because of the hobby

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the soft silicone tubing for over 4 years now. Never an issue and its does not harden like the vinyl tubing will and is super easy to work with. I'd imagine it is easier to kink but if you you flex it that much then any other flexible tubing would likely kink as well. After 4 years the only drawback I can find is expense but it's worth it in my opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back