How do i position a wavemaker?

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the picture you can see the wavemaker and the return pump, both of them are directly across from each other. Would this type of flow work in this small of a fish tank? I forgot to mention it is also a fluval evo five gallon tank. Do i even need a wavemaker, or is the return pump enough flow by itself?

download.jpeg

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the picture you can see the wavemaker and the return pump, both of them are directly across from each other. Would this type of flow work in this small of a fish tank? I forgot to mention it is also a fluval evo five gallon tank. Do i even need a wavemaker, or is the return pump enough flow by itself?

download.jpeg
I have a fowlr tank and a powerhead in the line that your tank comes from (fluval 13.5). I'd recommend it; provides some flow for the fish and helps circulate food come feeding time. Not necessary if you're not planning on making it a reef tank, but your fish will like playing around with it.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the return and powerhead facing each other would probably create some chaotic flow patterns that are more desirable than laminar (one direction) flow patterns. I would recommend tilting the powerhead slightly upward for greater surface agitation and thus greater oxygenation, though.

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the return and powerhead facing each other would probably create some chaotic flow patterns that are more desirable than laminar (one direction) flow patterns. I would recommend tilting the powerhead slightly upward for greater surface agitation and thus greater oxygenation, though.
So I want that chaotic flow pattern?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want that chaotic flow pattern?
I think a more important aspect of your wavermaker is going to be making sure you dont have deadspots on the sand for detritus and cyano to build up. One of the best things a wave maker can do it keep 'stuff' floating in the water column so that your filtration to get to it. As such, make sure you have good water movement at sand level and not just in the viewing area of your tank.

Sherril

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a more important aspect of your wavermaker is going to be making sure you dont have deadspots on the sand for detritus and cyano to build up. One of the best things a wave maker can do it keep 'stuff' floating in the water column so that your filtration to get to it. As such, make sure you have good water movement at sand level and not just in the viewing area of your tank.
Thank you. I found your comment about the wave maker moving stuff around so the filter can work better helpful. :)

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I’ll make sure I don’t have any dead spots, thanks for the comment, it was really helpful

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much how I have my 13.5 flow set up. My return nozzles point slightly upward to creat surface agitation and my wave maker is mounted about 3” below surface angled down slightly.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading stock return pump with an adjustable Sicce and replacing stock outflow nozzle with a random flow generator nozzle will give you more chaotic flow and, imho, "look" less intrusive. In a small tank you'll definitely want to be able to tune your flow.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean y the powerhead line?
sorry, fell asleep by the time this was posted. power head is used synonymously with wave maker as far as i know (edit: they have different functions) “line” was just a word to describe the series of tanks that came out under the same name (fluval evo 5g, 13.5, etc.) sorry for the confusion

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a very good point, I’ll see if I can adjust my power head according to this

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back