How do I prepare my tank for sps

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you supplement them with?
On my ReefSys I have 2 x Hydra64 HD and 2 x Prime 16 HD to fill in some shadows.

Once SPS coral start to spread out you will need a lot of light otherwise you end up with shadowing.

What you have will work with to start because frags take a while to grow out.
You'll also need to set up auto dosing if you don't already have it because stability is key.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sarcophyton grow right next to acropora on the reef, so they’ll be fine. You just need to slowly acclimate the leather to higher lighting. A strong skimmer and some GAC will help with any possible chemical warfare. I would hold off adding pocillopora unless you really like that genus? With higher lighting you’ll need higher flow. Start with the easier stuff, monti, stylo, slimer and bonsai (tricolor valida).

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how much I buy into the leathers and toxins. I have two good size ones in my mixed tank. A toadstool and a devils hand with quite a few acros. Granted most of my acros are smaller but they are growing well enough. And a couple are doing fantastic.

As for flow, more is better. I have 4 gyres. One on each side and two on the rear. Lights are reefbreeders and par averages 200-300 at top of rocks and 150-200 on lower stuff.
Stable parameters are the most important I think. When I test, my numbers are almost always identical one week to the next.
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how much I buy into the leathers and toxins. I have two good size ones in my mixed tank. A toadstool and a devils hand with quite a few acros. Granted most of my acros are smaller but they are growing well enough. And a couple are doing fantastic.

As for flow, more is better. I have 4 gyres. One on each side and two on the rear. Lights are reefbreeders and par averages 200-300 at top of rocks and 150-200 on lower stuff.
Stable parameters are the most important I think. When I test, my numbers are almost always identical one week to the next.
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg
Beautiful tank.

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have heard that as well. I don’t understand why though , is it because coraline is sensitive or does it require stablity much like acros.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My 90 gallon reef has been up for nearly 2 years and I am thinking of finally adding some sps like acro, Monti, birds nest and pocilipora. I have plenty of coraline algae which I think is a good sign. How do I know if my tank is ready for sps and how can I take steps to ensure they survive in my tank. I also have a big leather don’t know if that will stress them out. All advice is greatly appreciated : )
I had trouble growing SPS, eventually they die. My error was improper PAR. Rent a PAR from BRS and map your tank. SPS love flow. Good luck.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My 90 gallon reef has been up for nearly 2 years and I am thinking of finally adding some sps like acro, Monti, birds nest and pocilipora. I have plenty of coraline algae which I think is a good sign. How do I know if my tank is ready for sps and how can I take steps to ensure they survive in my tank. I also have a big leather don’t know if that will stress them out. All advice is greatly appreciated : )
I would do an ICP Test and go slowly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back