How do I prepare my tank for sps

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My 90 gallon reef has been up for nearly 2 years and I am thinking of finally adding some sps like acro, Monti, birds nest and pocilipora. I have plenty of coraline algae which I think is a good sign. How do I know if my tank is ready for sps and how can I take steps to ensure they survive in my tank. I also have a big leather don’t know if that will stress them out. All advice is greatly appreciated : )

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My 90 gallon reef has been up for nearly 2 years and I am thinking of finally adding some sps like acro, Monti, birds nest and pocilipora. I have plenty of coraline algae which I think is a good sign. How do I know if my tank is ready for sps and how can I take steps to ensure they survive in my tank. I also have a big leather don’t know if that will stress them out. All advice is greatly appreciated : )
Stability in parameters is key!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay my parameters are pretty stable so that’s good . Also is one Nero 5 enough flow? My tank is 4ft long it’s a reefsys 326
I also have a ReefSys 326 with SPS.

I have 3 x Nero 5's, but 2 would probably be okay.

If your parameters are steady you're probably good to try a few small frags and see how they go.
Every coral you add to the tank increases the biome and further increases stability.

You'll probably need to lose the soft corals.

IMG_4879.jpeg

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family really likes the leather so idk if I can get rid of it. But it’s toxin is annoying
I also have a ReefSys 326 with SPS.

I have 3 x Nero 5's, but 2 would probably be okay.

If your parameters are steady you're probably good to try a few small frags and see how they go.
Every coral you add to the tank increases the biome and further increases stability.

You'll probably need to lose the soft corals.

IMG_4879.jpeg
wow your tank looks sick man! My family enjoys the big toadstool though. It’s quite an amazing coral. But it could be the reason why my lps don’t grow very fast. Shame if I had to get rid of it. :/ how much carbon would I need?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family really likes the leather so idk if I can get rid of it. But it’s toxin is annoying

wow your tank looks sick man! My family enjoys the big toadstool though. It’s quite an amazing coral. But it could be the reason why my lps don’t grow very fast. Shame if I had to get rid of it. :/ how much carbon would I need
You will have to replace it often.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow your tank looks sick man! My family enjoys the big toadstool though. It’s quite an amazing coral. But it could be the reason why my lps don’t grow very fast. Shame if I had to get rid of it. :/ how much carbon would I need?
What do you have lighting your tank?

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two hydra 32s the leather shades half the tank though. Will probably add another if I decide to go for an sps dominant. Lfs person said I could do a mixed reef with two hydra 32s

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s annoying :/ Would the leather actually kill the sps or just stress them.
It'snot just the shedding and toxins that are the issue.

The coral have very different light and flow requirements and it would be very difficult to keep them all happy in a 75 gal tank.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nero 5, one would be enough for now if they were all on the same side of the tank as it is. Then when stuff grows out more you will def need more flow.

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Would I need full power. All that flow as gbroad said it annoys the big butt leather. It also blocks my circulation in my tank. But I like it though so idk.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine on random 45-90%, and that was fine for my sps frags while they were on the rack. But i had a lot of control on the rack. When i spread them out on the rocks though it wasnt enough anymore so i added a gyre. If you are ready to dabble with sps to see how it goes, get a mag frag rack, mount it where you can slide it up from medium to high light and closer to your high flow area and see how a couple do. If they grow well, you have your answer if the tank will support them, and can splurge for more light and flow and a carbon reactor

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah okay i reckon ill do that thanks for your advice. Did you put the frag rack directly in line with the nero? How much carbon would i need? I can post a photo of the leather to give you all a better idea of its size.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the leather/ carbon sitch, I've not had one. But for the rack, i mounted mine on the opposite side of the tank but right in line with the bulk of the flow. I had the rack on the front panel and the nero on the side oposite, but close to the front. Sps frags are a little more forgiving on flow until they branch up. Here is a pic of mine before i mounted it all and moved the nero and added the gyre:
1000006786.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lighting and flow will be the big difference.

Start with the pocillipora and the Seriatopora.

As stated, I'd add another pump.
And personally (I know others will disagree) I would supplement the lights. I would not move to sps dominate with 2x hydra 32s. It's not the intensity directly under the lights, it's the spread.

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and flow will be the big difference.

Start with the pocillipora and the Seriatopora.

As stated, I'd add another pump.
And personally (I know others will disagree) I would supplement the lights. I would not move to sps dominate with 2x hydra 32s. It's not the intensity directly under the lights, it's the spread.
what would you supplement them with?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back