How do I reduce nitrates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why you're seeing little nitrate reduction with any form of carbon dosing (vinegar, biopellet, nopox) is because they primarily reduce phosphates.

There are many ways to reduce nitrates, as stated above. Ask 10 people and you will get 20 different answers for nutrient control.

And most wont be wrong, there are many ways to skin a cat, so you have to figure out which one will suit your needs. I personally tumble cheatomorpha under a grow light, and I dial in the amount of nutreints pulled from the tank based on how long the grow light is on. Another popular way is using a algae turf scrubber, they are neat little all in one units both set to target primarily nitrates.

Despite what I use, figure out what's causing your excessive nutrients and if water changes, skimming and good husbandry alone don't fix the problem then incorporating another means in the form of macro algae might be the way to go.

Good Luck
That is not true. Carbon dosing is not primarily a phosphate reduction method. If anything, it is skewed to nitrate more than phosphate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing at all. I figured it was the vinegar? My tank is only consuming mag at the moment which is also odd
Lowering nitrate by any type of consumption will boost alk, but you did not lower it enough to cause that alk rise.

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why you match your WC alk to your current tank alk, to avoid swings. What salt are you using?

Your avatar has the anthias I want to add to m6 show tank. An6 words of wisdom on Ventralias

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your avatar has the anthias I want to add to m6 show tank. An6 words of wisdom on Ventralias
yeah, if you have a buddy in the business, get them now while you can, because I can still get some for $80-100/anthias. Feed small stuff like frozen pods into a powerhead, as I find it simulates real, live food and gets the anthias eating well. Then switch to shaved mysis or small mysis, then after that try flakes! Good luck

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, if you have a buddy in the business, get them now while you can, because I can still get some for $80-100/anthias. Feed small stuff like frozen pods into a powerhead, as I find it simulates real, live food and gets the anthias eating well. Then switch to shaved mysis or small mysis, then after that try flakes! Good luck

I would LOVE on3 adult male and two (or three) females! If you can hook me up I would be so appreciative! Can you PM me? I also want a Japanese Red or Botchy. Great idea on foods. I use copepods, plankton, cyclops and my sis....plus reef roads and coral frenzy,

John

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back