How do I set the water level with a float switch ATO?

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how hard this is meant to be but I just can't seem to work out how to judge if this float switch is in the right location

How high should the float be from the switch?

And how much water should be removed to trigger it? I removed about 400ml from a 85l system, and it triggered the pump, should it be a lot lower?

Thanks
17052495128756488142413593242354.jpg

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it in the return pump chamber, just put it at the level you want to keep that chamber at. Just low enough so the float is up. When the water evaporates off the tank, that level will fall and drop the float triggering the top off pump. Sometimes it's a bit fiddly, but you'll get it. Just keep an eye on it for a few days.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your water level where you want it, you decide that. Put the float switch in so it is too low and doesn't trigger the pump. Then slowly raise it untill the pump kicks on then lower it just a tad and done. Theres no way to really determine how much water has evaporate to activate the pump as that would vary from tank to tank depending on total volume and also the sump chamber the switch is in.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO will trigger when I remove water from my sump to fill a small Dixie cup at feeding time. Do you have the float located in the return pump section of the sump?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO will trigger when I remove water from my sump to fill a small Dixie cup at feeding time. Do you have the float located in the return pump section of the sump?
I have an all in one system, but it is in the filter chamber or sump if you still count it as a sump

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it at whatever level you prefer, but you need enough space in the sump to accommodate water in the event of power failure.

Also if you have a protein skimmer the sump water height will need to be taken into account for that so its at the correct height for the skimmer

You can trigger it whenever you want, 400ml is ok and maybe even less in a system of that size

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back