How do my parameters look & water change frequency?

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm using Hanna testers; only have LPS with two clownfish. I had been sticking to 3g WC every week but my Nitrates keep rising so I did a 4g WC today (tested before and after shown below). Had noticed everyone was somewhat unhappy and super perked up after WC today.
My torch is in the middle of splitting (gone from one to two heads but nothing yet on the skeleton).

Filtration wise I have: filter floss, 0.5tbsp of Reef Basis Captiv Phos Fe GFO, then 1.5tbsp of Seachem Matrix Carbon.
I change the floss daily.

Some questions that could really help me out:
  1. Debating if I need a bigger weekly WG (going to 4g which would probably be ~33%) or more frequent?
  2. I don't think I'm feeding alot, fish get pellets in the morning. I turn off the return pump so not much gets wasted. Otherwise every 4 days I hand feed reef roids with alternating in-between days with LRS nano frozen (roids, break, LRS, break...). I have AB+ but not sure yet when to feed it.
  3. Can I run higher nitrates with an LPS only tank? My limit is 15.
Thanks!

IMG_6273.jpg
IMG_6272.jpg IMG_6271.jpg

Last edited:

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters look good, I don’t recommend you set limits like NO3 below 15. It is better to follow a trend and do gradual adjustments. If NO3 keeps going up, well do something to try to guide it down (for example increase water change).
I prefer Alk in the 7.5 range.

I am not fan of GFO, it appears to take other things out of water.
As for activated carbon I use 25 ml / 100L and change once every 4 weeks. Again to ensure its effect is gradual, carbo can strip your water too clean.

I prefer to feed fish few times a day, had lot better results compared to once a day. Less aggression, happier fish…

Some carbon dosing “Tropic Marin NP Bacto Ballance “ can be beneficial (0.3ml a day for your tank) in promoting bacteria that your corals can consume. Idea is bacteria consumes PO4 and corals consume the bacteria… I don’t think you have skimmer so don’t over do carbon dosing.

Good luck,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back