How do new strains of zoas develop?

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few zoas, nothing very rare, but like anyone who's bitten by the zoa bug, so to speak, I'm interested in the more rare and beautiful zoas. I was wondering though, how do they come out with new strains of zoas? They can't be cross bred or anything, right? So how do the new strains develop?

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the oceans a very big place weve barely seen anything lol. It seems the very very collectible zoas are usually brought in by the same few dealers

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like chalices and other zoas they also change and morph over time depending on lighting and tank conditions. It still amazes me all of the different varieties. That's what makes this hobby so addicting.

nvdiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I took genetics, but new strains can occur, if the zooxanthallae gene(s) that codes for their color(s) mutate. Another possibility would be, if they're of the same species and two dominant genes are expressed which is a blend of the two.

Lighting can also affect appearance.

OP
OP
allabout

allabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I hadn't even considered that they just pull new beautiful strains out of the ocean lol. So I guess some of the dealers actively try to morph them, would be interesting to see the process. It's addicting for sure!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I hadn't even considered that they just pull new beautiful strains out of the ocean lol. So I guess some of the dealers actively try to morph them, would be interesting to see the process. It's addicting for sure!

I've read a couple of the " glue some sliced polyp together" threads, I guess I'm not seeing the morphs others are apparently seeing. Dealers simply get a piece in and wait till it colors up. Sometimes they get lucky and come away with something unique.

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. Its all a hustle really, find something cool, put it in a tank with pristine conditions and wait till its colored up nicely and give it a cool name for some $$

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All true enough, but realize that a "morph" that has occurred under tank conditions such as lighting and water conditions is not a new "strain" of zoa. Once that zoa is removed from the tank where that morph occurred, and placed in a tank were conditions are not the same, chances are good that it will revert back to its original appearance, unless you know the secret of the conditions that caused the morph to occur and can maintain it. Also lighting can have a huge impact on the appearance of a particular zoanthid for pictures, and what may appear spectacular in someone else's tank under LED or other types of lighting may end up looking pretty plain in your tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back