How do people run rox carbon?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find any carbon that needs a fine bag, the bag just clogs up. My preference now is matrix carbon in a coarse bag. I only run it for a week every couple months anyway.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the BRS Carbon Reactor Deluxe with Rox .8 with a sponge on top and bottom of the carbon. The reactor is filled with about 12 tablespoons of carbon and the flow rate is around 300gph. The pump is located after the filter socks in the same chamber as the protein skimmer and returns downstream in another chamber. I've not had any issues with clogging ever.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it in a mesh bag in the slide out compartment underneath my ReefMat 1200. About 1/3 cup, changed out every 2 weeks. Never had a problem.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a syncra 1.5 on my brs reactor and it always clogged within 2 weeks with the rox. I tried using double sponges splitting the carbon in half but had the same issue. I have been using seachem matrix carbon with brs gfo with no clogging.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in a reactor with sponges above and below the ROX 0.8. Flow is from a manifold off of my return. I can adjust the flow as I need to. Never had any problems with it clogging up before time to change it.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put ROX in a brs reactor, 8ozs in 130 gals of water and change monthly. Water to reactor is pumped from chamber after socks.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon related question! Can I use MORE than the recommended amount of carbon and change it less often?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the issue is more along the lines of, how much mechanical flitering is between your DT and your reactor?

Mine is in the return chamber, so there is hardly anything to clog it outside of settled detritus

Bradley C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems relatively easy to profess ignorance in reefing. The above re ROX is a 2 factor case in point: A: I have NO idea what ROX is. B: The answers re ROX are 50/50 in favor of. As my LFS likes to say, ask 3 people the same question, get 4 different answers. What is ROX, bottom line?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems relatively easy to profess ignorance in reefing. The above re ROX is a 2 factor case in point: A: I have NO idea what ROX is. B: The answers re ROX are 50/50 in favor of. As my LFS likes to say, ask 3 people the same question, get 4 different answers. What is ROX, bottom line?
A specific granular activated carbon size/shape.

Its very fine, and hard, a very tiny sprinkle shape to increase usable surface ares of the overall volume of carbon used and reducing dust.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back