How do people run rox carbon?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how people run the brs rox carbon? I have tried two seperate reactors, two little fishies and brs and it always just plugs with detritus. I'm pulling from the upper part of the first chamber where socks and filter are so it's not like I'm sucking stuff from the bottom. I've even tried mixing it with larger pellets with the same results.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos Carbon myself and prefer the larger carbon pellets. While I do accumulate some detritus, etc. - the larger space between the pellets ensures this is kept to a bare minimum. I do rinse out the black foam filter in my reactor once a month.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nyos Carbon myself and prefer the larger carbon pellets. While I do accumulate some detritus, etc. - the larger space between the pellets ensures this is kept to a bare minimum. I do rinse out the black foam filter in my reactor once a month.
I prefer larger pellets as well. I just bought into all the hype I read about the rox and bought some but it doesnt work for me. Mine will plug within 2 days. Maybe they know something I don't :thinking-face:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer larger pellets as well. I just bought into all the hype I read about the rox and bought some but it doesnt work for me. Mine will plug within 2 days. Maybe they know something I don't :thinking-face:
On very clean tanks it probably works great. Mine, not so clean...

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how people run the brs rox carbon? I have tried two seperate reactors, two little fishies and brs and it always just plugs with detritus. I'm pulling from the upper part of the first chamber where socks and filter are so it's not like I'm sucking stuff from the bottom. I've even tried mixing it with larger pellets with the same results.
What is your flow rate? I have no issues at 0.5 L per 20 sec through 2 cups of Marineland GAC (~4 inch diameter).

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your flow rate? I have no issues at 0.5 L per 20 sec through 2 cups of Marineland GAC (~4 inch diameter).
To be honest I have no idea. I'm using an old mj1200 and have a valve inline to control flow. I have no issue with other carbon types just the teeny tiny rox that brs sells that a lot of people recomend. I'll go back to the larger pellets that I was using.
EDIT: the rox is so restrictive anything over a trickle and it will push the carbon and the upper sponge to the top of the canister even when new.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROX. Mesh bag in sump @1/4 cup per 100 gallons. Replaced every 3 weeks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a reactor but I'm thinking of stopping rox due to it might be causing hlle on two separate occasions.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a phosban 150 with a couple extra sponges on the top, along with a homemade filter sock that fits on the outlet tubing. I have not experienced clogging. Maybe increase flow through the reactor?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a reactor but I'm thinking of stopping rox due to it might be causing hlle on two separate occasions.
Thats enough to make me bin it even without evidence. It's doesn't work well for me anyway and I have 7 tangs that have been with me for years so why risk it.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats enough to make me bin it even without evidence. It's doesn't work well for me anyway and I have 7 tangs that have been with me for years so why risk it.
ROX 0.8 is the least likely to cause HLLE issues.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROX 0.8 is the least likely to cause HLLE issues.
I agree. ROX is the hardest and has the least amount of dust (files) that can affect tangs.
I also use a mesh bag in a moderate flow area. I have yet to have any detritus when I empty the bag.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't toss it. I just noticed that my tang has only had this one using rox carbon and not red sea carbon and that once was after some of it grinded up in a reactor and the other when I started using a more powerful pump on the reactor. I think it's fine as low as you are very gentle with it. Again, I'm not claiming it's for sure caused by it but it wouldn't be unreasonable to be suspicious given both times happened when the rox had a chance to break apart and that carbon dust is a
candidate for the cause of hlle.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't toss it.
It's all good. I'm tossing it because it's too fine and plugs up within two days. I'm not a fan of mesh bags. I prefer to use a reactor so I'll keep using the larger pellets. I just wanted to try rox because of all the positive things I've read. Now I know it's just not for me.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a small BRS reactor with a little phosguard mixed in. Good for a few weeks at least

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a BRS reactor with ROX, pump is on the bottom of retur. Chamber where detritus collects, but it hasn't been an issue. Tightly pack the carbon to prevent channeling, and the sponged on either side in the reqctor will catch some, but I have never had debris in the carbon itself, nor a clog.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back