How do these levels look?

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So our set up is a 65 gallon non sumped (I really wish we had a sump but we don’t. Just an excuse to get a 120) with a tidal 75 filter, and reef octopus 100 protein skimmer. I wish we had room for a fuge but we don’t.

I have been dosing with vibrant due to diatoms, phosphate e to reduce phosphates and mixing that with reef bio fuel (1/2 and 1/2). Really wish we had room for a fuge but we do not.

in the hob filter we have chemipure elite, seachem matrix, polish pad and bio pad.

I know nitrates are high as I fed the corals yesterday and went a little heavy by mistake.

tank has been up and running for 2 months now. First month lights were off. I would say we have a small/medium bio load.

-fire shrimp
-watchman goby
-clown goby
-two Carmel clowns
-yellow tang (still small and by the time she grows we will have a 120)
-blue spotted puffer
- two cardinal fish

-7 zoa frags
- 6 ricodea
- 7 inch watermelon bta
-3 inch RbTA (still hiding)
- purple torch with 6 heads
-hammer with two heads
-3 inch goni
-8 candy cane corals
-2 bubble gum monti frags
- 2 chalice frags
-micro favia
-2 xenia rocks

small clean up crew

levels have been stable for 3 weeks so far.

893099BE-95D3-4023-83E6-59DE905A7F9C.png

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like you're addressing the phosphates and nitrates which as you stated as well, are high. Everything else looks great :) Best of luck

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems perfect to me !

Have you gone through your ugly stage yet ? what are tank peramiters ? How often do you test ?

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems perfect to me !

Have you gone through your ugly stage yet ? what are tank peramiters ? How often do you test ?
Well we went with black sand so its hard to see the ugly stage but yes we have a ton of Diatoms in the tank. The confusing part is I have heard conflicting issues with water changes as they say it adds silicates to the water and the diatoms dont stop..... I test parameters about every 2-3 days. im working hybrid so I am working from home when I have no testing to do on site so I sit infront of this tank and just stare at it all day. To be honest I have stopped looking at our 150 fresh water. I am just waiting for the wife to say she wants to make that salt like she did with this 65 haha.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we went with black sand so its hard to see the ugly stage but yes we have a ton of Diatoms in the tank. The confusing part is I have heard conflicting issues with water changes as they say it adds silicates to the water and the diatoms dont stop..... I test parameters about every 2-3 days. im working hybrid so I am working from home when I have no testing to do on site so I sit infront of this tank and just stare at it all day. To be honest I have stopped looking at our 150 fresh water. I am just waiting for the wife to say she wants to make that salt like she did with this 65 haha.
Well yes and no on the water changes adding silicates to the water feeding the diatoms

Yes - If you are using tap water you will for sure be adding silicates to your tank

No - if you are using RODI 0 TDS water you will not be adding silicates to your tank

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes and no on the water changes adding silicates to the water feeding the diatoms

Yes - If you are using tap water you will for sure be adding silicates to your tank

No - if you are using RODI 0 TDS water you will not be adding silicates to your tank
We are running a 4 stage rodi but I’m slacking and never tested the tds.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are running a 4 stage rodi but I’m slacking and never tested the tds.
Definitley want to put a gauge on that system and get to 0 TDS everytime.

I am running 1-2 TDS right now but switching out my membrane and filters tonight should be back at 0 TDS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back