how do you catch a lawnmower blenny?

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 120 gal DT and the blenny is the last fish I need to catch to put in copper treatment after a major ich outbreak that has killed all fish except the blenny an two clowns currently in the hospital tank. He is too fast to catch. Tried pellets and net, speciman container and cornering but no luck. Thinking about ordering a fish trap and putting some algae pellets or nori in it but if anyone has advice. Need him out of the tank so I can make it fallow for 90 days

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 120 gal DT and the blenny is the last fish I need to catch to put in copper treatment after a major ich outbreak that has killed all fish except the blenny an two clowns currently in the hospital tank. He is too fast to catch. Tried pellets and net, speciman container and cornering but no luck. Thinking about ordering a fish trap and putting some algae pellets or nori in it but if anyone has advice. Need him out of the tank so I can make it fallow for 90 days
It has to be done and short of dismantling your aquascape, the trap is the best option. I was going to say "you can't" as my answer but since it has to be done...

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will go after the nori at nite time so bait the trap, mine also eats hikari crab cuisine... I also find it easy to catch him, I just empty all the water out, works everytime. That's also when I find the peppermint shrimp I haven't seen for a year and the yellow headed shrimp goby too. Joys of having a 29 gal tank. Seriously. Everytime I think of upscaling...I think of quarantining a fish!

OP
OP
fyrefightr

fyrefightr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be done and short of dismantling your aquascape, the trap is the best option. I was going to say "you can't" as my answer but since it has to be done...
Yea, I think its next to impossible. No way to tear the aquascape down. Just hope Im successfull before he gets it. Been dosing reef medic for 10 days but it didnt help

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you drain most of the water into a couple of trash cans, get him out and pump the water back 8n.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheaper option, that I've done before in a pinch.

go buy a few trash cans from Home Depot, drain the tank, catch fish, fill tank back up, Return trash cans (clean)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheaper option, that I've done before in a pinch.

go buy a few trash cans from Home Depot, drain the tank, catch fish, fill tank back up, Return trash cans (clean)
That would work; plus you’d be doing HD a service by washing out their cans and then returning them all nice and clean. :)

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, without fish, you don’t have to refill the tank immediately. Drain it, then refill with new water as you mix it. As long as the sand and most of the rock stay covered. Splash the rock a little to keep it moist if you want.

Edit: I forget most everyone has coral too, oops.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back