How do you clean your filter socks?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After switching to red sea nylon mesh it's been a breeze, rinse in a sink and dip in RO then back into the tank. With felt I filled a 5 gallon bucket with oxiclean and let the socks soak a few days. Then ran them in the wash and after I'd soak them in some RO before using again. Oxiclean seemed to get them whiter. Before that we would run them in the wash with just bleach, rinse and let them sun dry. Before switching to mesh the skimmer would go nuts for a bit after putting the washed felt socks back in. At one point we kept 20+ socks on hand.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinsed one out and dropped in a container of water with a capful of bleach. Will rinse it out again and let air dry. I change them aboyt every 3 day. I used to do the washer machine thing but I find me current routine very easy and on the same floor as the tank, plus I think it the soak in bleach water does a better job than the machine. If I don't have a clean sock handy, I pull the dirty one anyway and run sockless until I can get a clean one in there. I have three socks so two should always be on standby . I may get more

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also turn inside out and put in the washing machine with just bleach (looks around to make sure wife doesn't see what I'm typing) and then run them again with nothing just to get several rinses. RODI dip and air dry. That said I don't use my socks much any more, seemed like they got to where they were only catching amphipods.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea mesh socks and used to wash them outside with a hose pipe. I hated this especially in winter

So what I now do is put them all in the washing machine with a squirt of bleach on a long wash. I then put them on another long wash afterwards with just water in. Just because I don’t like the idea of bleach and my fish tank, and it makes me feel better.

Then they just go back in my ‘clean’ bucket to dry

This is just so easy and I have about 10 sets so only do this every month or so.

Last edited:

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is rinsing with rodi water really necessary? If you let filter socks dry after blasting with the hose, what does rinsing in rodi accomplish?

It seems like the incredibly tiny amount of trace phosphate or other contaminants in tap water after drying would be completely insignificant unless your city water is filthy. My tap is 28-35 tds.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back