How do you fix a Wrasse - only comes out in the dark

Chris Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Filamented Flasher Wrasse that will only come out at night. I have had him for 3 + months. During the first week he managed to get into my over flow and I didn't realize it for a week or 2. Now that I have him back in the tank he wont come out with the lights on. I thought he was dead.. (assumed he was ate by my Red Carpet Anemone ) until I caught a glimpse of him a couple weeks ago. I saw him again tonight and would very much like to be able to see him during the day. I only have A Melanurus and a Red Coris Wrasse so I don't believe there to be issues... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Chris Mc

Chris Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is actually more than double the size of the Red Coris and the same size as the Melanurus... I am afraid the tangs are more of the issue... My Lieutenant Tang is quite large and the boss in my tank along with the Coral Beauty.... I will keep an eye out but can't really tell if he doesn't come out... makes things difficult..

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well one time we had chotti wrasses from Australia and we feed tons of pods but never came out at day time we acclimated the lighting to him kind of like jet lag so we got him custom to American time lol but he was fresh like right off the plane

OP
OP
Chris Mc

Chris Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it may have been because of the couple of weeks he spent in my overflow (in the dark) That now he just preferred it.. I will just have to try and catch him... highly doubt it will happen though..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch it and place it in a social acclimation box you will be able to observe for aggression, and often a couple of days where an aggressor can see a bullied fish but can't harm it is enough for aggression to subside.

Sleep schedule doesn't effect flasher wrasses like it does leopard and Halichoeres wrasses, as flashers sleep in the rocks and not the sand, so is more aware of the light cycle.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try running with lights real dim for a bit and work them back up slowly if your able. Kind of acclimating him to the brighter lights.

OP
OP
Chris Mc

Chris Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good ideas. Catching him will be the hard part... Perhaps in a dim light I can get him to feed.. I have a trap and will see if I can make it happen....

Appreciate the help!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back