How do you get a Monti to do this..?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DVeit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DVeit

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2014
Messages
111
Reaction score
3
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says.. This red one in the image.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414259305.304368.jpg
 
That type of montipora is a capricornis or "Monti Cap" and naturally grows in shelf like formations. All it needs to do this is to stay healthy with proper lighting, **flow** and water parameters.
 
This took about 8 months to grow in this pattern. It was much higher in my tank. I have since lowered it so it can get larger. I have also grafted other colors into the mix.
Here's a top view of it. :-)

 
This took about 8 months to grow in this pattern. It was much higher in my tank. I have since lowered it so it can get larger. I have also grafted other colors into the mix.
Here's a top view of it. :-)


Gorgeous caps Bubblewood! (And scroll! [emoji6] been trying to convince the wife to get a scroll and Efflo). For those of us drawn to these plate-makers!!
 
Thanks RandoReefer! The other side of my reef has a massive green and purple monti that is taking over. lol !
There is lots of other pictures on my build for this tank! I also have a 120 Reef Savvy that has monti that will be starting also.
 
Monti parameters

Hi Bubblewood,
What are your tank parameters and are you using leds? I am have a tough time keeping monti's.
Thanks
 
Some montipora are encrusting or branching types, though I don't remember the subspecies exactly. You want to look for montipora capricornis, aka monti caps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new