how do you get rid of a large patch of zoa's?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large patch of invasive zoa's that also share the rock they're on, with 2 acro's. What's the best way to get rid of them? I do not want to get rid of the rock. it's in a 300 gallon tank, and I am short... any advice would be great.
TIA

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of removing the rock I'm not sure but I have similar problems. I just put rock rubble down in some area with aggressive corals like favia to beat back the zoas in that zone also used cyphastrea.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a metal straw, stainless steel smoothie straw, they're like 1/3 of an inch wide typically, attach it to a water change hose, put on a respirator, create the siphon like you're doing a water change, stab and scrape the zoa's and suck them up into the straw...

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of removing the rock I'm not sure but I have similar problems. I just put rock rubble down in some area with aggressive corals like favia to beat back the zoas in that zone also used cyphastrea.
not a bad idea. I also have heard people say to make a kalk slurry, shut off pumps then put on them...but I'm a bit worried to do this, as I dont know how that would affect chemistry

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a metal straw, stainless steel smoothie straw, they're like 1/3 of an inch wide typically, attach it to a water change hose, put on a respirator, create the siphon like you're doing a water change, stab and scrape the zoa's and suck them up into the straw...
hmmmm. well, I have parrots etc..so Idk if that's a good idea. though they may be ok if I put them outside. I really may just have to frag my acro's, but I seriously do not want to do that, as they're large and encrusted.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a bad idea. I also have heard people say to make a kalk slurry, shut off pumps then put on them...but I'm a bit worried to do this, as I dont know how that would affect chemistry
You can but it's hard to dose a complete patch. Just find some encrusting type corals you like and create breaks in the growth path. You can see mine here.

Attachments

• 20240414_135019.jpg
    20240414_135019.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 180

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm. well, I have parrots etc..so Idk if that's a good idea. though they may be ok if I put them outside. I really may just have to frag my acro's, but I seriously do not want to do that, as they're large and encrusted.
1) Palytoxin in Zoa's is a bit more rare than people are led to believe typically
2) The risk comes from any bubbles that may rise and pop in your face while doing this releasing it close to your face and you breathing it in, hence the respirator
3) If the birds are 3-4 feet away or more, I wouldn't be too concerned with it...

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but it's hard to dose a complete patch. Just find some encrusting type corals you like and create breaks in the growth path. You can see mine here.
those are the same one's I'm battling. the pink'ish ones. uhg. never again

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Palytoxin in Zoa's is a bit more rare than people are led to believe typically
2) The risk comes from any bubbles that may rise and pop in your face while doing this releasing it close to your face and you breathing it in, hence the respirator
3) If the birds are 3-4 feet away or more, I wouldn't be too concerned with it...
do you know of another way, that would be easier/safer? That's going to be an all day job....which honestly...yuk. and I know me and syphoning lol

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know of another way, that would be easier/safer? That's going to be an all day job....which honestly...yuk. and I know me and syphoning lol
you could try and do the same method with a small pump and just hope they don't clog the impeller while being sucked through... But that's the way I've always removed invasive soft corals (Zoa's, Xenia, GSP, etc).

I know that injecting Aiptasia with lemon juice works to kill them, not sure about zoa's though, never tried it, but it can't hurt to try... if you do and it works, report back here, it would be interesting to know...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive used a pipette and applied kalkwasser paste over the unwanted ones and they shriveled to nothing. Best done with flow cut off for a few minutes

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try and do the same method with a small pump and just hope they don't clog the impeller while being sucked through... But that's the way I've always removed invasive soft corals (Zoa's, Xenia, GSP, etc).

I know that injecting Aiptasia with lemon juice works to kill them, not sure about zoa's though, never tried it, but it can't hurt to try... if you do and it works, report back here, it would be interesting to know...
yeah... that's also an idea.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used a pipette and applied kalkwasser paste over the unwanted ones and they shriveled to nothing. Best done with flow cut off for a few minutes
ok, my next question...how do you handle the "yuck" from this, in the tank? Carbon? or......?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ok, my next question...how do you handle the "yuck" from this, in the tank? Carbon? or......?
Yes carbon which reduces toxins and the paste will dissipate. Just keep it limited to avoid a spike in alk

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I love zoas but hate those pinkish ones!! Nirvana and Mohawks are weeds in my tank. They have nearly smothered out my favorites. After 2+ years, one of the two just started melting away a few days ago. I don’t know why but it’s not affecting any of the others… I’m not complaining

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I love zoas but hate those pinkish ones!! Nirvana and Mohawks are weeds in my tank. They have nearly smothered out my favorites. After 2+ years, one of the two just started melting away a few days ago. I don’t know why but it’s not affecting any of the others… I’m not complaining
Lucky!!!! Mine are on steroids! uhg. so frustrating

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back