how do you get rid of a large patch of zoa's?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are the same one's I'm battling. the pink'ish ones. uhg. never again
Take a look at all the zoas growing on my powerheads. I have no idea how they got there. I also have a cool orange bunch starting to cover the back wall now to. It's a love hate relationship huh...

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at all the zoas growing on my powerheads. I have no idea how they got there. I also have a cool orange bunch starting to cover the back wall now to. It's a love hate relationship huh...
the pandoras i can believe it, i found some alive on a piece of dried out live rock that had been outside for weeks. a living pandora zoa. the gorilla nipples on the other side , now that is pretty impressive. i would imagine it makes it difficult to clean the powerheads, as you now have some living creatures deciding they would like to call it HOME lol reef tanks are hilarious and it only gets funnier the more you try to make it do what you want

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pandoras i can believe it, i found some alive on a piece of dried out live rock that had been outside for weeks. a living pandora zoa. the gorilla nipples on the other side , now that is pretty impressive. i would imagine it makes it difficult to clean the powerheads, as you now have some living creatures deciding they would like to call it HOME lol reef tanks are hilarious and it only gets funnier the more you try to make it do what you want
I've never cleaned my powerheads in 3 years. I just let em go and whatever decides to make a home there is fine. There's different zoas on each powerhead.

WizardOfAAAHHHs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a metal straw, stainless steel smoothie straw, they're like 1/3 of an inch wide typically, attach it to a water change hose, put on a respirator, create the siphon like you're doing a water change, stab and scrape the zoa's and suck them up into the straw...
OH >THAT'LL< be BRILLIANT ! . . . .Are YOU paying their HOSPITAL BILL when - in attempting to create that suction, the accidentally ingest some *TOXIC* Zoas !?!?!

Find something OTHER than yourself to create said suction!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH >THAT'LL< be BRILLIANT ! . . . .Are YOU paying their HOSPITAL BILL when - in attempting to create that suction, the accidentally ingest some *TOXIC* Zoas !?!?!

Find something OTHER than yourself to create said suction!
Umm, creating a siphon one time while the hose is nowhere near the zoas is not dangerous at all... what are you on about? I create a siphon every time I perform a water change on my tank, which are the exact instructions I gave to the op... If you can't comprehend what that means, perhaps you should ask questions rather than basically accuse me of trying to kill someone, as you so clearly are...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WizardOfAAAHHHs let me see if I can clearly spell it out for you and anyone else who may misread/misinterpret what I said.

1) Buy the straw
2) Attach the straw to a water change hose
3) Put a respirator around your neck ready for putting it on your face
4) create the siphon like you would any waterchange
5) Put on respirator
6) Stab and scrape at the zoas allowing the NATURAL SUCTION OF THE SIPHON to suck them up and into whatever reservoir you're using

Is that clearer? There is very little risk in this approach, and there is certainly 0 risk of the OP sucking a zoa into their mouth...

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WizardOfAAAHHHs let me see if I can clearly spell it out for you and anyone else who may misread/misinterpret what I said.

1) Buy the straw
2) Attach the straw to a water change hose
3) Put a respirator around your neck ready for putting it on your face
4) create the siphon like you would any waterchange
5) Put on respirator
6) Stab and scrape at the zoas allowing the NATURAL SUCTION OF THE SIPHON to suck them up and into whatever reservoir you're using

Is that clearer? There is very little risk in this approach, and there is certainly 0 risk of the OP sucking a zoa into their mouth...
so again....I do and did, understand what you said. took about 5 seconds but I got there lol
if i do this, or even the kalkwasser way, what about the leftovers, as there will be some... will that rock the boat, in my tank? I am trying to not tick off anything else, but yet these have got to go

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so again....I do and did, understand what you said. took about 5 seconds but I got there lol
if i do this, or even the kalkwasser way, what about the leftovers, as there will be some... will that rock the boat, in my tank? I am trying to not tick off anything else, but yet these have got to go
Lol, sorry... I just got irritated that I was accused of trying to kill you, lol.

If you get as much as you can, it should have very little if any negative impact on the tank... I've done this numerous times and never noticed any adverse side effects.... I can't speak to the kalk method, I only just started sitting it, and even diluted a very small amount raises the ALK by quite a bit... pH too... So I would probably baby step my way into that method until I personally fully understood it...

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, sorry... I just got irritated that I was accused of trying to kill you, lol.

If you get as much as you can, it should have very little if any negative impact on the tank... I've done this numerous times and never noticed any adverse side effects.... I can't speak to the kalk method, I only just started sitting it, and even diluted a very small amount raises the ALK by quite a bit... pH too... So I would probably baby step my way into that method until I personally fully understood it...
fair. I dosed kalk for over a year, just recently stopped it, because it wasnt keeping up. Went to BRS 2 part....that's also a crapshoot. between moonshiners, and a happy tank....it's going crazy sad thing, is it's not just the acros that are happy!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back