How do you get those big beautiful lashes on your Zoas???

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious how everyone makes their zoas get those big beautiful lashes? Is it genetics, flow, light, feeding or Revlon!!!

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness I think it's a combination of factors. Water quality, food, light intensity, and available nutrients. Honestly, zoas are a mystery to me, mine will be doing great then I'll have a major die-off. Experiment with different placement in the tank and see where they thrive. I have only two colonies of zoas that do well and have been thriving for years, the others are extremely fickle. The ones that do well I think just have the perfect placement in the aquarium.

Last edited:

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have them but I don't know what factors have contributed to it.

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious how everyone makes their zoas get those big beautiful lashes? Is it genetics, flow, light, feeding or Revlon!!!

lol that's my picture....lights and water quality for sure and flow some get much bigger with less flow

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed a cause of this to be the way the flow is circulating in the tank? Is it better to have constant flow or a wave or pulsing effect in the tank for zoas?

Last edited:

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think certain ones get it more than the others, but I feel flow and water quality plays a huge role mainly flow… Light probably has something to do with it as well being that they need to be at a certain size to get them and not all stretched out.

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it is flow, what is the best type of flow, solid current, pulsing wave type? What do you guys think?

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the zoas some are like mushrooms the less flow the better like for example the Stiggy Marleys like almost no flow

jpg.gif
IMG_4815.CR2.jpg (102.9 KB)

Attachments

• IMG_4815.CR2.jpg
    IMG_4815.CR2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 334

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mess with the flow u can have fluffy zoas for a couple days then u see build up of nutrients no3 po4 will be the only thing growing in your tank I keep my 2 pm40s 75% at all times and looking to add 2 mp10 s everything likes a lot of flow just not direct blast

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mess with the flow u can have fluffy zoas for a couple days then u see build up of nutrients no3 po4 will be the only thing growing in your tank I keep my 2 pm40s 75% at all times and looking to add 2 mp10 s everything likes a lot of flow just not direct blast

Yea i have seen that.... Especially when the polyp is in low flow. It may be the cause of the "Hair" that people see on the stalks sometimes. The "Hair" build up is most likely algae that started to grow because of the lack of flow and build up of nutrients around the stalks of the zoas... There is always a thread going around about the "hair" that grows on the zoas and how to fix it.... Maybe it could be as easy as increasing the flow.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like long eyelashy skirts unless the tentacles (it sounds weird to say it like that) are fat!

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a discussion here.... Some people are getting results with high flow and others with low flow. So the question is can it really be the flow or is it something else?

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have low/med pulsing flow over mine. I have some super long lashes and short. I'm thinking its 90% genetics. It would be interesting for someone to set up an experiment to see what kind of changes you can achieve using lighting and flow

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back