How do you guys feed?

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginner years of my reef I shut off power heads and return pumps to feed. Then I saw everyone just dumping food in without turning anything off so I've gone to that for the last few years. Yesterday while doing a water change and the return pump was off I fed the tank and turned down my MP40 all the way.

Seemed like my fish and corals got the most out of it and ensured small bits didn't go to waste by being sucked through the overflow. I was considering going back to this.

Anyway, what's your methods and is there a reason behind it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that turning off pumps makes it more effective to get food into the fishes mouth and avoid waste.

The 2 main reasons I stopped turning the pumps off is because of my laziness, and also because my anthias are aggressive feeders and won't allow any food to the bottom, so my gobies would starve.

OP
OP
FiveGallonSea

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that turning off pumps makes it more effective to get food into the fishes mouth and avoid waste.

The 2 main reasons I stopped turning the pumps off is because of my laziness, and also because my anthias are aggressive feeders and won't allow any food to the bottom, so my gobies would starve.
You're right. Between my insane Naso, Gem, and 11 Chromis my Dragonet wouldn't even get a bite. I have to always monitor him and that he's getting some bits too. But seriously, my Naso would eat a Big Mac if I put it in there. Her appetite is hilarious.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have pumps on “ feed” mode / time but as mentioned, pure laziness ended it …
but yes turning stuff off does help slow feeders and waste

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always cringe at the practice of turning off a return pump to feed. I don't like the idea of turning a pump on and off every day. It seems harder on the pump, and adds an additional element of human failure ( forgetting to turn it back on or not noticing it stall).
The best possible option for this method in my mind is a DC pump with a feed mode that ramps down then back up on a timer. I just don't think the benefits outweigh potential problems in most situations.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always cringe at the practice of turning off a return pump to feed. I don't like the idea of turning a pump on and off every day. It seems harder on the pump
I thought I was the only one who thought this!!! I thought maybe it was my anxiety and OCD problem being irrational.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed Fish: Vectra L2 Return Pump goes to 1% constant speed. This keeps the pump running but no water discharge at the return nozzles (L2 min speed calibration ). This keeps food from going down the overflow. Maxspect Gyre's and Vortech's stay on to simulate the fish's natural environment.
Reasoning: Water movement does not stop in the ocean so why stop the flow in the tank when feeding fish?

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed Fish: Vectra L2 Return Pump goes to 1% constant speed. This keeps the pump running but no water discharge at the return nozzles (L2 min speed calibration ). This keeps food from going down the overflow. Maxspect Gyre's and Vortech's stay on to simulate the fish's natural environment.
Reasoning: Water movement does not stop in the ocean so why stop the flow in the tank when feeding fish?
Just some personal anecdotes about the L2s. I have them in operation in several of my client's tanks. They have been reliable in my experience. I have one client who has 3 L2s on his 480 bowfront. He insists on using the feed mode everyday and I always have stalling issues with them. If they have the slightest bit of build-up on the impeller, they want to stall when they ramp back up. This is consistent with my experience on the MP60s and 40s. Some modes, where they ramp down to very low speeds, trigger stalling.
If you are fastidious about cleaning your pumps and double check every time you feed, it's probably not as issue. It's just something to watch out for.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always cringe at the practice of turning off a return pump to feed. I don't like the idea of turning a pump on and off every day. It seems harder on the pump, and adds an additional element of human failure ( forgetting to turn it back on or not noticing it stall).
The best possible option for this method in my mind is a DC pump with a feed mode that ramps down then back up on a timer. I just don't think the benefits outweigh potential problems in most situations.
Couldn’t agree more.
Both on pump failure, as well as on the human failure part - I can’t count the amount of times I turned off equipment and forgot to turn it back on.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still soak my food in tank water, shutoff wavemakers not return pump and blast food with turkey baster into 2 feed holes. Only takes a few minutes but by shooting the food towards the front and down almost all food gets eatin and by hitting one hole then the other all the gluttoness fish hit the first hole and i can get food to the bottom dwellers like jawfish and gobies in 2nd hole. The return pump blows a little around tank to slow eaters, shrimp crabs and corals.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some personal anecdotes about the L2s. I have them in operation in several of my client's tanks. They have been reliable in my experience. I have one client who has 3 L2s on his 480 bowfront. He insists on using the feed mode everyday and I always have stalling issues with them. If they have the slightest bit of build-up on the impeller, they want to stall when they ramp back up. This is consistent with my experience on the MP60s and 40s. Some modes, where they ramp down to very low speeds, trigger stalling.
If you are fastidious about cleaning your pumps and double check every time you feed, it's probably not as issue. It's just something to watch out for.
Not once in 3yrs of running an L2 have I ever had a stall. Maybe the min speed calibration during the initial setup was not done correctly and the L2 is actually stopping vice going slow when feed mode scene is selected or they have feed 0% selected vice constant or feed at 1%. Just a thought. I agree with the MP60's/40's having a stalling issue specifically with the gyre mode but that was corrected with a OS update a couple years ago. I had that issue and submitted a ticket and they sent me a OS update to beta test before they made the update public. It corrected the stall issue. At least for me it did.
I clean my Vectra's every 3-4mo.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just... toss in the food LOL

If i turn off my power heads everyone freaks out thinking the "random ape arm" is gonna make an appearance in the tank and move stuff LOL
Gotta good laugh out of this.

Ya have to def get them use to it. I dont ever change turning off powerheads even for new fish. They just have to get use to it and they eventually do. Now when i turn them off the hole tank comes swarming to front. Fish, shrimp, crabs even nassarius snails and conchs. Food is the ultimate trainer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back