How do you guys frag zoas?

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fragging zoas both by just breaking them off the rock or plug and by using a blade to scrape under the polyp and cut around. I have nearly 100% survival rate when I just break them off the plug or rock and about 10-30% survival rate if I use a blade to cut the polyp out. There are just some frags you can't break the polyps off the rocks and a blade is needed in those situations. How do guys make frags using a blade with a higher survival rate? I do dip all the frags I made in lugols iodine for 10-15 minutes before putting them back in the tank on their plugs and still have a low survival rate with the blades. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its on rock work and I can't chip the rock off I leave it alone because of how much damage is going to occur. Try putting a lit reef epoxy next to the zoas to give them something to grow on. A lot easier to pop off later. Or you can also lay a frag plug close. Patience

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with RichieT i agree put something next to them to grow on if you can chip the rock work, you will do more damage than good and probably loose some polyps.

OP
OP
icemountain

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its on rock work and I can't chip the rock off I leave it alone because of how much damage is going to occur. Try putting a lit reef epoxy next to the zoas to give them something to grow on. A lot easier to pop off later. Or you can also lay a frag plug close. Patience

Good idea! I have plenty of small rubble rock and epoxy I can lay next to them.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back