How do you know when you have enough fish?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time the rule of thumb was 1" of saltwater fish for every 5 gallons. Never really followed that and of course equipment is dramatically improved today. Then again, I generally prefer smaller fish so I can have more. Closest to a big fish I keep is a tang or two with next biggest dwarf Angels. Like someone else said it's also really about not introducing aggression or adding to much bioload for your system.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stock MUCH heavier than most other people and have little problem. As long as the fish aren't fighting and and nitrates/phosphates remain controlled and stable, I see no issue with doing so. Currently I have 24 fish in a 47 gallon mixed reef, and 51 fish in a 75 gallon mixed reef (which is heavier than even I normally stock, however those fish are being moved to a 180 gallon in the next month or so once I get my tax return and redo the flooring).

Proper quarantine to eliminate the risk of parasite transmission and to fatten up the fish and acclimate them to aquarium life is also key to doing this. Every fish in these tanks is profilactically medicated against ich, velvet, flukes, brooklynella, and intestinal worms, and all are fat and eating well before moving to the displays.

And I have lots of wrasses, damsels, and clowns, and dwarf angels, no problem together. Starting with young female fish (especially for wrasses and angels) really helps keep aggression down, and sticking with less aggressive damsels also helps (Pomacentrus, Chrysiptera, Neopomacentrus).

20230422_190153.jpg
20230226_213646.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back