How do you know when you have enough fish?

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon aquarium that is a couple of years old, and is probably reaching the limit of fish. I've tried to pick fish that occupy different parts of the tank, so there is very little aggression. Nitrate and phosphate seems to be stable as well. I've always wanted a mandarin and/or a flame hawkfish, but I can't decide if my tank can support them.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether or not I could add either or both of these, but I'm also interested in how people decide they have reached their maximum stocking level. Is it about making sure there is a suitable habitat/territory/hiding place for each fish you add, making sure nutrients aren't out of control, and knowing the requirements of the new fish. What else do people consider?

I have a 60 gallon display with a skimmer, filter roller and ATS. My current fish are:
  1. Yellow wrasse
  2. McCoskers flasher wrasse
  3. 3 x Yellowtail damsel
  4. 2 x Occelaris clown
  5. Orchid dottyback
  6. Banggai cardinal
  7. Yellow Watchman goby
  8. Diamond goby

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is it just experience that helps you know this before adding the fish?
Experience and research. My current tank has an angel and several wrasses (among others). I know I can't add anymore of either. I can't add anymore algae eaters due to my foxface and coral beauty since they will most likely show aggression. That eliminates those. I just get to the point where there are no more fish I can safely add lol. As far as water quality, testing will tell you. If you are constantly fighting high nitrates and phosphates, adding more fish might not be the best direction to take.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stop adding fish when I can no longer add one without introducing new aggression or affecting water quality.
This. IMO OP you already have 5-6 demon fish in your tank. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Im curious on what you want to add next? You already have 3 more fish than i have in a 90.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have too many fish when it goes bad.... when aggression starts, or fish start jumping out, or disease breaks out, then you know you've gone too far. The trick is not get to that point.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have too many fish when it goes bad.... when aggression starts, or fish start jumping out, or disease breaks out, then you know you've gone too far. The trick is not get to that point.
This is what happened to me. clown terrorized everyone. But stuck with going after a wrasse (that he eventually killed. Kept jumping out.) and a flame angel.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. IMO OP you already have 5-6 demon fish in your tank. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Im curious on what you want to add next? You already have 3 more fish than i have in a 90.
A mandarin or flame hawkfish are two that I have been considering, but I'm not definite about anything, and won't get anything for a few months. What do you consider to be my demon fish? :) I know damsels and orchid dottybacks can be agressive, but they each have their (small) territory and rarely chase other fish. If they ever do, it's only for a second or two.

The only agression in the tank seems to by from the yellowtail damsels when I put my hand near their territory :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah damsels, dottybacks and clowns are all mean fish at some point. How long have all these fish been together?
I haven't added any fish for around 9 months. The last fish that I added was the flasher wrasse, which I added last July.

The dottyback and damsels have been together for just over a year. I added the dottyback last March 2022, the yellowtail damsels a few months before that, and the clowns were one of the first fish I added, so some point in 2021.

I'm almost hoping the clowns show some aggression so I have an excuse to set up a separate anemone tank ;)

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest fish (over 10 years) is a yellow tail Damsel. As long as the fish around him are bigger he gets put in his place. They can be bullies though.

You can always introduce new fish before the lights come on or after they go off to reduce aggression when adding a new fish. Rearranging the rocks somewhat prior to adding a new fish will also disrupt the territory issue because everyone will be trying to re-establish territory including the new fish.

A flame Hawk will eat any shrimp you add (if any) and needs a lot of places to swim around and then perch. I have 2 (1 in each tank) and they get along with most all other fish if they have space to swim and perch. The Flame Hawk is one of my most favorite fish just because of the their personality (see my Avatar). They are typically more interested in what you're doing outside the tank and very nosey lol.

It sounds like you have a good approach to picking fish and your so just do your research and be mindful that any new additions will have the space and hiding areas to enjoy their life in your tank. Watching water quality is super important also. More fish means more feeding and more waste and higher nitrates and phosphates if it exceeds your filtration and water change routine. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest fish (over 10 years) is a yellow tail Damsel. As long as the fish around him are bigger he gets put in his place. They can be bullies though.

You can always introduce new fish before the lights come on or after they go off to reduce aggression when adding a new fish. Rearranging the rocks somewhat prior to adding a new fish will also disrupt the territory issue because everyone will be trying to re-establish territory including the new fish.

A flame Hawk will eat any shrimp you add (if any) and needs a lot of places to swim around and then perch. I have 2 (1 in each tank) and they get along with most all other fish if they have space to swim and perch. The Flame Hawk is one of my most favorite fish just because of the their personality (see my Avatar). They are typically more interested in what you're doing outside the tank and very nosey lol.

It sounds like you have a good approach to picking fish and your so just do your research and be mindful that any new additions will have the space and hiding areas to enjoy their life in your tank. Watching water quality is super important also. More fish means more feeding and more waste and higher nitrates and phosphates if it exceeds your filtration and water change routine. Good luck!
Thank you.

I was hoping a hawkfish would be a possibility for the reasons you mentioned. I don't really have any 'perching' fish and have plenty of spare perches.

I've uploaded a photo of my tank in case anyone is interested

IMG20230422162837.jpg

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard one rule is 1 fish per 10 gallons of water, but this is flexible, you can fudge it by having a mix of free swimmers and bottom dwellers. Some people will tell you to stay away from aggressive fish, but keep in mind any fish can become aggressive or become stressed at the addition of a new tank mate once it has established itself. It's a gamble.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I was hoping a hawkfish would be a possibility for the reasons you mentioned. I don't really have any 'perching' fish and have plenty of spare perches.

I've uploaded a photo of my tank in case anyone is interested

IMG20230422162837.jpg
Your tank looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back