How do you maintain a cycled tank without adding ammonia?

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g tank that is completely cycled. It did 2PPM ammonia to 0 in 24hours. But my quarantine tank is taking a little longer than 24hours to 0 ammonia. So I will not be able to add fish to quarantine which also means I will not be adding fish to main tank for another month or so. I am also planning to add coraline algae into the main tank before the ugly phase. So I will not be able to add ammonia to maintain the cycle. Is there any other way I can maintain the cycle?

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost feed the tank slightly. The breakdown of the food will add ammonia your bacteria supply can handle.
That is my last resort if I do not have any other option. My concern with ghost feeding is, now I am also supplying the nuisance algae with nutrients. My lights are off for the most part except the lunar cycle which I think is really cool.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant feed anything in your tank without feeding the algae.

The trick is supplying enough CUC to out compete the algae growth.

You can't grow corals, without growing algae, it's a balancing act. What corals need to thrive, so does algae.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can't grow corals, without growing algae, it's a balancing act. What corals need to thrive, so does algae.
So add CUC now? This is a good idea and just feed them. But I am looking into quarantine requirements for CUC and there is not a lot of info about it. All I found is, I can't do copper for CUCs.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed...just feeding slightly can go a long way...with that being said, i dont know how many nitrifying bacteria would actually die off within a month but again not completely sure
So add CUC now? This is a good idea and just feed them. But I am looking into quarantine requirements for CUC and there is not a lot of info about it. All I found is, I can't do copper for CUCs.
Yeah, you can add CUC to the main tank as long as you have something for them to eat

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow your CUC is about the only way. CUC can, but its very unlikely they will carry any fish diseases into your tank. Most LFS, and any reputable seller online(Reef cleaners) keep inverts in thier own systems away from any fish. So it's not much of a concern.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow your CUC is about the only way. CUC can, but its very unlikely they will carry any fish diseases into your tank. Most LFS, and any reputable seller online(Reef cleaners) keep inverts in thier own systems away from any fish. So it's not much of a concern.
I think my LFS also have a separate system since they run copper in fish tanks. I like this idea[Thank you] I will find out. I do see goby with their inverts. Are they considered inverts by any chance?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my LFS also have a separate system since they run copper in fish tanks. I like this idea[Thank you] I will find out. I do see goby with their inverts. Are they considered inverts by any chance?
No, some LFSs will keep certain small fish with their inverts

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes LFS will keep more sensitive fish with their inverts. Just because as you noted they keep a low level of copper(therapeutic level) which is no beuno with inverts. In this case I would fallow the CUC and just feed them some algae wafers, flake food, or nori.

My LFS keeps things like certain wrasses and mandarins in with their inverts just because they do not tolerate copper very well.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should grow some algae for snails and provide detritus eating CUC members a source of food. What were you thinking of adding?
In terms of food or CUC? This is the list of my planned CUC
CUC -
6 Hermit crabs - 2 of each (electric Blue, Halloween and Scarlet)
18 snails, 6 of each Cerith, Turbo and Nassarius
2 Cleaner shrimp

In terms of food - I did not do enough research. I assumed it will just eat the cleaned up stuff and occasionally feed some algae sheets.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI....

Cleaner shrimp are inverts, but they will not clean anything other then some parasites off your fish, and steal food from your corals.

The name is rather misleading.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of food or CUC? This is the list of my planned CUC
CUC -
6 Hermit crabs - 2 of each (electric Blue, Halloween and Scarlet)
18 snails, 6 of each Cerith, Turbo and Nassarius
2 Cleaner shrimp

In terms of food - I did not do enough research. I assumed it will just eat the cleaned up stuff and occasionally feed some algae sheets.
Yeah, any crabs will eat any uneaten food (not picky eaters) and snails just need algae

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are inverts, but they will not clean anything other then some parasites off your fish, and steal food from your corals.
Yes I just found this out a few days ago but my LFS said it is cool to watch them clean fishes. Maybe I'll add them later.

CUC will also pee and poop, adding ammonia which will keep your bacteria population alive.

But keep in mind, bacteria will ramp up and down based on how much is needed for a specific bio load.

This is the main concern. I do not want the bacteria to go dormant cos all the fishes are going to move from QT to display tank at the same time. When you said "I would fallow the CUC" what is it? Just observe them in display tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back