How do you "mark" things

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,231
Reaction score
955
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you guys mark things in a reef-safe way? Like, if I want to mark inside my tank what the correct water-level is in the return chamber of an AIO (no way to do it outside because it's against the wall), how can I mark it in a reef-safe way? No duck tape, no sharpies, etc.

Or for that matter to mark inside a Brute bucket where my RO/DI water should be for mixing new salt water, how to mark that line?
 
1782103306243.jpeg


I'm not sure I'm following your intent precisely, but this label maker tape is pretty durable; you don't have to print anything if you don't want to-- you can just use it as a piece to serve as a mark.
 
I use it to put a mark inside plastic buckets, for example. And on the outside of tanks. I can't say if fish would pick at it if you put it inside the tank, if that is your aim-- but a test piece would probably give you an answer pretty quickly. 😉
 
This label would be in the back return chamber, so not accessible to fish (unless they try to escape through the back.) I just didn't know it was "reef safe." Thanks!

BTW the intent is just to mark the waterline of where to stop when doing water-changes in the tank, or in the Brute bucket where to stop making RO/DI.
 
Last edited:
Just as a caution-- because I don't want to overstate my case (lol)-- but don't expect it to last forever without degrading; but at least if you can see it, you should have plenty of time as a 'heads up' to know when to replace it. It might be a yearly maintenance item, for example. 😎
 
1782103306243.jpeg


I'm not sure I'm following your intent precisely, but this label maker tape is pretty durable; you don't have to print anything if you don't want to-- you can just use it as a piece to serve as a mark.
Now that is something I have never thought about doing before!
 
Paint marker or sharpie. Or a simple ruler and bracket or other DIY depth gauge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new