How Do You Mount Your Reactor

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how others are mounting their gfo/carbon reactors from BRS? I tried mounting mine with some titanium screws BRS @Bulk Reef Supply recommended but the first time I went to unscrew the cylinder from the bracket one of the screws “popped”. Anybody have any tips/better ways to mount the bracket? I’m mounting it on the back wall of the sump in my Red Sea reefer. I was thinking I may need some longer screws or mollies? What’s everyone using? Thanks, Rich!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screws arent the problem it's the particle board your screwing into. You need to find something more sturdy to screw to. Maybe mount a strip of real plywood inside. Which will spread the force of twisting the canister out over a larger surface area

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screws arent the problem it's the particle board your screwing into. You need to find something more sturdy to screw to. Maybe mount a strip of real plywood inside. Which will spread the force of twisting the canister out over a larger surface area
That’s what I was thinking but I’m still mounting the piece of plywood into MDF so I wonder how strong it will be even with more screws. Guess it’s the best option I’ve heard so far though. I’ve thought about getting a longer screw, going through the wood, and using a nut on the outside but I’m not a fan of drilling straight through the cabinetry.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some photos would be very helpful if you have some?
Here is a phot of the screws and u can see where one popped out the mdf.

0C333E62-8991-4511-B7D1-617435E46FA2.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a small piece of 4x4 and then mounted it to my stand and then screwed the reactor into it. I needed a few inches for clearance which is why I went with the 4x4.

OP
OP
B

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a small piece of 4x4 and then mounted it to my stand and then screwed the reactor into it. I needed a few inches for clearance which is why I went with the 4x4.

What type of screws did you use? I’m concerned about rust and have read that titanium is the way to go.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of screws did you use? I’m concerned about rust and have read that titanium is the way to go.
I used exterior decking screws. They are meant to handle outside weather and they aren't in direct contact with saltwater, so I am not worried about it. I am more worried about rust from the door hinges on my cabinet than the screws.

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking but I’m still mounting the piece of plywood into MDF so I wonder how strong it will be even with more screws. Guess it’s the best option I’ve heard so far though. I’ve thought about getting a longer screw, going through the wood, and using a nut on the outside but I’m not a fan of drilling straight through the cabinetry.
Bolt through it with washers

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back