How do you mount your T5s?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 × 24w T5 Sunpower that I'm looking to hang. The ceiling in the room is vaulted, so hanging from the ceiling is not a (convenient) option. There is some shelving about 18" above the tank, so that limits some options even further. My requirements are:
  1. Clean, simple aesthetic. It's in my living room in a location that's very visible, so it has to look good.
  2. Strong and durable. I'm not planning to hang off them or anything, but I want something that won't rust or buckle.
  3. As unobtrusive as possible. While I want it to look nice, I also don't want it to detract from the look of the tank.
Things I'm considering:
  • making mounts out of 3/4 thinwall conduit and a pipe bender (which seems to be one of the most popular and affordable wants to mount lights)
  • a pair of long shelf brackets (needs to be about 18" long to reach the center of the tank)
  • black (iron/steel) pipe mounted to the wall with floor flanges - nice industrial look but I worry about the stability and corrosion resistance
I'd love to see how everyone else does it. Post pics!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ceiling is vaulted too so I put my t5 hybrid in a canopy
image.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Canopy, if you get one that has an Open Top, you can get a nice glow on the Ceiling. Rippling effects with just a few LED strips. Let’s the heat out during the Summer. Also will cut down the light spill on your eyes, while sitting.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Canopy, if you get one that has an Open Top, you can get a nice glow on the Ceiling. Rippling effects with just a few LED strips in . Let’s the heat out during the Summer. Also will cut down the light spill on your eyes, while sitting.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Things I'm considering:
  • making mounts out of 3/4 thinwall conduit and a pipe bender (which seems to be one of the most popular and affordable wants to mount lights)
  • a pair of long shelf brackets (needs to be about 18" long to reach the center of the tank)
  • black (iron/steel) pipe mounted to the wall with floor flanges - nice industrial look but I worry about the stability and corrosion resistance
I'd love to see how everyone else does it. Post pics!
I did the conduit hangers over a small tank with my 6 x 24 watt ATI fixture.
While it was simple and cheap, it looked cheap.
But if you are considering it, go to one of the box stores and ask if you could bend a couple pieces of conduit with a conduit bender. Ask for help? Or just grab one and do it in the store, then put it back.
I asked a store employee at Lowes to help me and he agreed since I only needed 2 bends. Seemed silly to buy the bender.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 'thin' uni-strut aka strut channel. Common electrical item used to mount everythning electrical! (Former electrician). Comes in 10' sticks (like conduit). I used a grinder and cut a V-shape (45° angle 2 times) and bend to overall 90° angle. The trick is to get the other end exact to match the length plus some small amount "past" the edges of your tank - via whatever mounting method you choose on tank. There are many out there that sit on thank as is and would obviously prefer you buy their version of bracket - that they are extremely proud of ($$). I then used some 'steel' epoxy on the 'joints', ground down to a smooth finish and painted with black plasti-dip paint. 20230119_010851828_iOS.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How did you bend this so perfectly?
I got the idea from a build on Reef Central a few years ago. The guy used 2" x 3/8" aluminum bar and a torch and used his outside deck hand railing and bent the bar in a graceful curve so it bent out over his tank. He did alot of sanding and polishing so it looked just awesome. I went with angles.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the idea from a build on Reef Central a few years ago. The guy used 2" x 3/8" aluminum bar and a torch and used his outside deck hand railing and bent the bar in a graceful curve so it bent out over his tank. He did alot of sanding and polishing so it looked just awesome. I went with angles.
I remember that thread!

OP
OP
Chibils

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it.
The Doogan Light Bar.

I love it. This is exactly what I want - it's clean, it's elegant, it's unobtrusive. Do you have a link to the thread?

I found it. I just searched that phrase and it popped right up. Good lookin out mfinn!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I love it. This is exactly what I want - it's clean, it's elegant, it's unobtrusive. Do you have a link to the thread?

I found it. I just searched that phrase and it popped right up. Good lookin out mfinn!
That was the thread that made me decide to try to make my own light bar and to try a rimless tank.
I hated it that the op disappeared not long after creating the thread. I was able to message him a few times.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back