How do you move long spine urchins.

  • Thread starter Thread starter WVNed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2018
Messages
10,206
Reaction score
39,477
Location
Hurricane, WV
What state or country do you live in
West Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 and sometimes I want to move them to do something in the tank. Getting jabbed by one even slightly is very painful. The spines are also very brittle.

How do you handle them without hurting them or yourself.
IMG_2426_heic-XL.jpg
 
I used to carefully grab one of there longest spines, but half the time that ended with the spine breaking or me getting stabbed. Maybe some long tweezers?
 
I used to carefully grab one of there longest spines, but half the time that ended with the spine breaking or me getting stabbed. Maybe some long tweezers?

I have tried grabbing a spine, which broke and slipping my hand under it which got me stabbed.
 
I used long aquarium tongs. But even with that it lost a lot of spines. Before that, I tried using thick rubber gloves, but the spine still got me.
 
I have big tweezers I feed the eels with. Where do you grab hold of it at?
Get the two “sides” of the tweezer under it and lift. Don’t use the tweezer as a tweezer in other words. Just use something with two sticks, so you get those two in between the spines on the mouth side, and lift. Don’t pinch.
Search for Martin Moe on YouTube. He has done his own Diadema lifter, but it’s similar to the tweezers we use.
 
I used a Tupperware container with a lid and carefully scoop him up assuming he is in a spot that the Tupperware is able to reach.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new