How do you move Zoanthids from the frag plug to the rock?

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rookie coral person here. I just bought some Zoa frag plugs for my aquarium (and one Duncan). I just wedged the frags into gaps in the rock for now and didn't glue them or anything. They're stable in place and I don't think they're going to get knocked over. My question is, how do you get them on the rocks? I'm afraid of doing anything like scraping them off and sticking them to the rock because my frags don't have enough polyps for many do-overs. What am I supposed to do? Should I just leave them to grow over the frag and eventually onto the rock (and maybe move the frag somewhere else after to grow more in a different spot), or is there some other way to get the zoas on the rocks?

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rookie coral person here. I just bought some Zoa frag plugs for my aquarium (and one Duncan). I just wedged the frags into gaps in the rock for now and didn't glue them or anything. They're stable in place and I don't think they're going to get knocked over. My question is, how do you get them on the rocks? I'm afraid of doing anything like scraping them off and sticking them to the rock because my frags don't have enough polyps for many do-overs. What am I supposed to do? Should I just leave them to grow over the frag and eventually onto the rock (and maybe move the frag somewhere else after to grow more in a different spot), or is there some other way to get the zoas on the rocks?
I just cut the stem off the plug and glue to the rocks. once they grow on the rocks the plug is covered and you cant see anymore. Or you could remove the plug and frag into several pieces to trade in/sell.

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut the stem off the plug and glue to the rocks. once they grow on the rocks the plug is covered and you cant see anymore. Or you could remove the plug and frag into several pieces to trade in/sell.
Do you just use super glue gel?

K1utch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot the zoa frags come in a attacked to a sliver of rock that is glued to the frag plug. I usually will use a razor blade to cut the glue in between. If it's heavily encrusted you'll just have to cut off the bottom of the plug and glue.

useer10202820

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use bone cutters to cut the stem and glue as noted, you can also use bone cutters to cut small pieces of the plug(if not ceramic) and glue that.

Some people will use scapels/razors on the webbing before they cut the plug, but not necessary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back