Just Another 40b

K1utch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to my first build thread!

I decided it was time to upgrade from the AIO. I took out the AIO section and turned it into a planted tank for my girlfriend. So I temporarily relocated everything into another tank and started this build. I wanted a tank size easy to manage yet large enough to have a decent amount of coral. Armed with a dollar per gallon sale 40g and a drill I got to work.

So my temporary tank is sitting on the floor and yes my cats love watching my fish... and not eating them.

Temp.jpg

I have rock and sand in buckets. I'm going to rinse the sand in R.O. heavily then saltwater to keep the bacteria alive. Ignore the fire hazard and my toe.
20230928_231930.jpg 20230928_231948.jpg

I drilled the overflow and return and painted the back black.
Overflow.jpg
FTS.jpg

The shelf to the right of the tank will have all my electronics and controller. Also all the old equipment I'll never use again but can't bring myself to throw away! I even installed a gfci outlet so you know... no fires.

I wanted to keep the sump super simple. Basically just a skimmer and some macroalgae. Well mostly simple. It's completely controlled. Two water level sensors (one for ATO one for high water warning) a skimmer sensor to shut off the skimmer if the collection cup starts to overfill, a leak detector, pH probe, grounding probe, ato pump, temp probe AND a controller for the heater, can never be too safe when you're not trying to boil your fish for dinner or die from palytoxin.
Filter.jpg

I need a better refugium light but that'll come later. I hate baffles to I just used some very course pad to keep the chaeto in it's place! Yes my emergency pipe is high. Might put a extension on it but I want to hear if there's a problem with my full siphon drain.

The tank with have an MP40, MP10 and 2 gyre pumps. I have 3 AI prime lights but might sell them for something different.

More updates tomorrow when I fill it!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to my first build thread!

I decided it was time to upgrade from the AIO. I took out the AIO section and turned it into a planted tank for my girlfriend. So I temporarily relocated everything into another tank and started this build. I wanted a tank size easy to manage yet large enough to have a decent amount of coral. Armed with a dollar per gallon sale 40g and a drill I got to work.

So my temporary tank is sitting on the floor and yes my cats love watching my fish... and not eating them.

Temp.jpg

I have rock and sand in buckets. I'm going to rinse the sand in R.O. heavily then saltwater to keep the bacteria alive. Ignore the fire hazard and my toe.
20230928_231930.jpg 20230928_231948.jpg

I drilled the overflow and return and painted the back black.
Overflow.jpg
FTS.jpg

The shelf to the right of the tank will have all my electronics and controller. Also all the old equipment I'll never use again but can't bring myself to throw away! I even installed a gfci outlet so you know... no fires.

I wanted to keep the sump super simple. Basically just a skimmer and some macroalgae. Well mostly simple. It's completely controlled. Two water level sensors (one for ATO one for high water warning) a skimmer sensor to shut off the skimmer if the collection cup starts to overfill, a leak detector, pH probe, grounding probe, ato pump, temp probe AND a controller for the heater, can never be too safe when you're not trying to boil your fish for dinner or die from palytoxin.
Filter.jpg

I need a better refugium light but that'll come later. I hate baffles to I just used some very course pad to keep the chaeto in it's place! Yes my emergency pipe is high. Might put a extension on it but I want to hear if there's a problem with my full siphon drain.

The tank with have an MP40, MP10 and 2 gyre pumps. I have 3 AI prime lights but might sell them for something different.

More updates tomorrow when I fill it
Fellow 40B dude here, following!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very good mate, well done! You're well underway! Glad the swap went well- it can be a stressful process! :) Keep it up- and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
K1utch

K1utch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update! Added some new corals.

My green toadstool lost color in the last tank and it's turning green again.
Fts2 (13).jpg

My rbta is starting to bubble up again seems to like this spot. Oh and I saw my clownfish biting at it for the first time ever. They were in the same tank for years lol.
Fts2 (14).jpg

I put a couple mushrooms in large shot glasses with lids with holes in them on top had to weigh down the lids with a rock lol.
Fts2 (18).jpg

Back wall gsp.
Fts2 (16).jpg

Just a few torches and hammers
Fts2 (17).jpg

I need to get an orange filter for my dslr so I can take better pictures!

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it! I’m doing a 40b too. No sump just a HOB filter. I was thinking about going the gyre route. What brand/size is that one you have? And is it the only power head in the system?

OP
OP
K1utch

K1utch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it! I’m doing a 40b too. No sump just a HOB filter. I was thinking about going the gyre route. What brand/size is that one you have? And is it the only power head in the system?
I have an MP40 set to create a wave at 40%, the gyre placed on the back random 0-100 and the return is about 900gph. I had 2 gyres but it wasn't really needed so I used it on another build. It's a maxspect jump gyre 2k. I like gyres a lot. One thing I've learned in this hobby is more pumps at less power is better than one pump at full power just creates better flow. It also depends on sand and rockwork. I'd say one gyre and one wavemaker is a good combo. Or like chases10 a couple of good constant flow pumps pointed in a way that creates a random flow is good too.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP40 set to create a wave at 40%, the gyre placed on the back random 0-100 and the return is about 900gph. I had 2 gyres but it wasn't really needed so I used it on another build. It's a maxspect jump gyre 2k. I like gyres a lot. One thing I've learned in this hobby is more pumps at less power is better than one pump at full power just creates better flow. It also depends on sand and rockwork. I'd say one gyre and one wavemaker is a good combo. Or like chases10 a couple of good constant flow pumps pointed in a way that creates a random flow is good too.
Yeah I’ve been researching the gyre pumps a lot lately and I’m thinking one of those with my AI Nero 5 will be sufficient. Then I’ll ditch the Aqueon constant flow pumps. I can’t seem to have them pointed anywhere that doesn’t blow my corals around. And if I only use one my surface agitation isn’t enough I feel haha. It’s never ending

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back