how do you start a sps tank from 0

plattekees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start by excusing me for the bad english :)
can anyone give me some advice how to start a sps tank (cycling) ? From what I've heard you just can not put sps in from the start, is this correct?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think experienced, pro reefers can. If you're new to it, I'd be cautious.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. I went from never having had an aquarium before directly to a thriving SPS reef tank. It takes time to learn and plan before you execute. Most of the answers you'll find right here on Reef2Reef. Before I bought the first thing, I spent four to five months pouring over the forum with a notepad next to me, writing down what equipment I needed, how I wanted to build the system and mapping my steps. More important maybe than learning what to do was learning what NOT to do through other people's mistakes.

Use the "Watch Forum" tools to stay on top of unread posts in the forums that you can learn from and limit the overwhelming information that comes through here on a daily basis. I would watch the following forums to start with:

I would also browse the build threads of hobbyists who have similar-sized tanks as yours or the same type of goals. If you stay patient until you have a map of what you want to do, what equipment you need, and a good idea of how to go about it, you'll have a very good shot at being successful.

Lastly - ask questions! That's what we're here for. Good luck on your journey.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick for you will be to keep super stable parameters. SPS do not like alk and calcium fluctuations. That's why many of us use Calcium Reactors. You can start by getting a few sps frags and see how it goes. Please keep in mind, if your alk is constantly shifting, sps will not make it long term. It can be done with newer tanks, but you will have to put a lot of work in. Usually we say wait 6-12 months before trying SPS. A good started SPS is a Red Monti Cap. Get a small frag of that and watch it grow.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me start by excusing me for the bad english :)
can anyone give me some advice how to start a sps tank (cycling) ? From what I've heard you just can not put sps in from the start, is this correct?
To add to what others said, It depends on what kind of SPS you want to keep. After your cycle and parameters are stable, some types of monti and birds nest are easier to keep. Acros will not be as forgiving and don’t usually do well in a new tank. I typically like to start with LPS and softies first as a test. Once you see growth and healthiness from them, you should be ready to try SPS. If you can’t keep a cheap mushroom alive for example, you aren’t ready for SPS. And generally the first few months are a huge learning curve. I’ve killed SPS due to ATO malfunctions, heater malfunctions, parameter swings, lighting errors. You name it.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different as is each reefers experience level. Are you using dry rock or live rock? This makes a huge difference IME due to dry rock lacking biodiversity. Experienced reefer can keep sps right after cycling a tank evwn using dry rock. New reefer 6-12 months if using live rock or seeding with live rock. 1-2 years for a new reefer if starting with all dry rock. I know how that sounds, very matter for fact and know it all. Let me explain. These time frames gives the new reefer time to learn first hand how to run a reef tank and for the tank to mature given the type of rock used. Live rock makes a tank basically instantly ready for corals but a new reefer needs time to learn and 6 months to a year is a good time to learn before trying sps. A tank started with all dry rock needs more time to fully mature plus the new reefer learning time 1-2 years is a good time frame for adding sps.

OP
OP
P

plattekees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. I went from never having had an aquarium before directly to a thriving SPS reef tank. It takes time to learn and plan before you execute. Most of the answers you'll find right here on Reef2Reef. Before I bought the first thing, I spent four to five months pouring over the forum with a notepad next to me, writing down what equipment I needed, how I wanted to build the system and mapping my steps. More important maybe than learning what to do was learning what NOT to do through other people's mistakes.

Use the "Watch Forum" tools to stay on top of unread posts in the forums that you can learn from and limit the overwhelming information that comes through here on a daily basis. I would watch the following forums to start with:

I would also browse the build threads of hobbyists who have similar-sized tanks as yours or the same type of goals. If you stay patient until you have a map of what you want to do, what equipment you need, and a good idea of how to go about it, you'll have a very good shot at being successful.

OP
OP
P

plattekees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks, I've reading about a month now true the topics. I've learned that not every tank is the same. What can be good in one thak maybe not will work in a other tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back