How do you store & track MP40 wet sides?

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open question, How do you store & track your MP40 (or MP10/MP60) wet sides?

I've got 5 MP40's spinning in tanks now, and approximately 3 working spare wet sides, 3 retired/broken wet sides, and 1 new wet side in an unopened box.
  • I'll admit, I've done a crappy job of storing them. Just coupled to each other, through ~1/4" of cardboard between.
  • I'll admit, I've lost track which ones are newly opened spare from Dec'19, which ones came from 2018, and which ones i got from others.
Current thoughts on organizing them
  • a plastic box, with storage cell for each wet side
  • small layer of foam / bubble wrap at bottom, to reduce magnetism and impact from outside metal
Current thought on tracking
  • Dedicate each cell to each Specific wet side. Even if it's in use (not there), or in storage (in the box)
  • Keep tracking note in each cell. When bought/acquired, working condition (a few make slight noise), and if In use - WHERE in my tanks. (eg: left MP40 in main tank)
  • Downside... if I accidentally mix up the box, all individual wet side tracking is scrambled.
  • Another option, scratch/etch an ID number into the plastic of the wet side itself. Thoughts?
Q: How do YOU store and track your Wet Sides. (for MP40's, or for any equivalent in tank wet side)
Q: What do you think of my thoughts?
Q: Anyone already figured out the a good plastic box that fits MP40's well.
  • See picture of fit in a "Plano 23730-05 Prolatch Stowaway Deep with Adjustable Dividers" (amazon it) Not an ideal fit, would have to cut Horizontal dividers.
IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking at Cabelos, Bass Pro shops or other big Outdoor places, they usually have all kinds of plastic containers that might work. I only have 2 MP40s & 1 extra wetside so I just keep it in the box it came in.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any wet sides not in circulation as spares are kept in the original box.

Wet sides in circulation out of the tank are kept in a glass of RO water to soak until they are cleaned before going back in the tank.

I keep a written tank journal when I swap the spares, plus I use a calendar reminder for swapping. Right now I usually swap mine every six weeks.
Your mileage will vary based on Coraline algae or just slime. My Trochus snails keep the nozzles very clean so I do not need to change my wet sides very often. I do not have Coraline right now.

Each of my wet sides is scratched with the store name and date of purchase, plus position in the tank so they go back to the same dry side.
I scratch the face of the floating part that locks the magnet into the axle assembly.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mark or note my wetsides, but always have at least one extra. What I do on cleaning day is to switch out one of the wetsides with this "extra" one and then clean the one I pulled out, now replacing the next....and next....and next....until I now have a clean "extra" for the next time. I will tell you that MP40's fit very nicely into a one pint Talenti ice cream container (after you finish that delicious ice cream).

1589848279104.png

I use these containers to also clean the wetside as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep a single spare wetside on hand for my MP60s .... though I do have a few additional spare magnet assemblies since it’s the white ceramic spindle that’s been the Achilles heel for me. I don’t worry about keeping track of which is which frankly. I do keep a bunch of spare cages and swap them out when I clean the operating wetsides.

OP
OP
Daveobrien

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking at Cabelos, Bass Pro shops or other big Outdoor places, they usually have all kinds of plastic containers that might work.
Good suggestion. I have a spare wet side ready to accompany me on my next trip to Home Depot. And now I'm going to add a local sporting good shop too.

I keep a written tank journal when I swap the spares, plus I use a calendar reminder for swapping. Right now I usually swap mine every six weeks.

Each of my wet sides is scratched with the store name and date of purchase, plus position in the tank so they go back to the same dry side.
I scratch the face of the floating part that locks the magnet into the axle assembly.
I'm going to start etching marks into the plastic. Just seems the right way to go.

I don't mark or note my wetsides, but always have at least one extra. What I do on cleaning day is to switch out one of the wetsides with this "extra" one and then clean the one I pulled out, now replacing the next....and next....and next....until I now have a clean "extra" for the next time. I will tell you that MP40's fit very nicely into a one pint Talenti ice cream container (after you finish that delicious ice cream).
I'm going to pick up some Talenti and try it. Thanks!
For cleaning/swapping, two of my MP40's are in challenging locations. So I want to pull out dirty ones, and re-install clean ones at the same time. This is one of the reasons for multiple spare sets.

I just keep a single spare wetside on hand for my MP60s .... though I do have a few additional spare magnet assemblies since it’s the white ceramic spindle that’s been the Achilles heel for me. I don’t worry about keeping track of which is which frankly. I do keep a bunch of spare cages and swap them out when I clean the operating wetsides.
Agree, I've cracked the ceramics twice. This is one of the motivators in making a more rigorous storage solution, including some foam below each one to act as a separator for the magnets. I'd hate to set a storage container down on a metal surface or table, with 8 spare wet sides in it, and effectively have it snap down with a clunk and crack ceramics.

OP
OP
Daveobrien

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success, Perfect fit found at Home Depot - for $11.97. (in my store)

This is an ideal box. Holds 12, on their side, without needing any foam/etc to keep magnets apart. Each gray cube is removable and forces a big magnetic gap. Nice Snug, but not too-snug of a fit.

Check it out!
IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back