How do you test the flow pattern of wave pumps

  • Thread starter Thread starter Taxus812
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2019
Messages
716
Reaction score
789
Location
Windsor
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get corals I wanted to better tune my wave pumps. I have the eflux wave pump kit (with second pump). How do you test the flow patterns ? I cant see where the water is actually going.

The only option I have used (and my fish love this one) is to drop a block of frozen brine shrimp in the tank and watch the snowstorm. Obviously that is not the most efficient way (but it is fun). Is there a "right" way to do it?
 
That is pretty much how I do it except I turn the pumps off then feed when the fish are done eating then I turn the pumps back on and watch the excess food circulate throughout the DT
 
You really cant. How you want your flow depends on what you put in your tank and where you put it. It will change over time as stuff grows too.

At the beginning all you can really do is make sure you have enough and go from there. Enough is going to be way more than you think.
 
Look at your corals. Polyps should be moving well, but not thrashing. Barely moving is an issue too. Then look at your fish. If they are struggling to move and swim, then you have too much flow.
 
Look at your corals. Polyps should be moving well, but not thrashing. Barely moving is an issue too. Then look at your fish. If they are struggling to move and swim, then you have too much flow.
+1 to this recommendation. Also think about potential no flow areas - sometimes looking at where stuff collects in your tank can be helpful to consider when you are looking at flow.

Your initial approach with brine shrimp is definitely fish-approved!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new