How do you use acclimation boxes?

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!

My tank is relatively new and the only fish I have in there right now are 6 Anthias. I just got (they were shipped to me) a Yellow Tang and Kole tang which were pre-quarantined and have them in an acclimation box in the tank.

So my questions are how long would you leave them in there? How do you use your acclimation box if you have one? And do you really think it helps?

Thanks all!
20200424_123455.jpg

20200424_123428.jpg

20200424_123422.jpg

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m far from an expert on this but from what I know acclimation boxes are used to stop aggression from existing fish when adding new ones. I don’t believe the anthias would pose any threat to your 2 tangs and probably not needed to use...

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a belated welcome to the forum, KatesReef13. :)

this go-around, the acclimation box isn't necessary because you have no aggressive resident fish already in the tank.

how long would you leave them in there?
- typically 1-3 weeks depending on observation / interaction of the resident fish

how do you use your acclimation box if you have one?
- i use mine for new introductions or to give a bully a time-out (only had to do that one time); sometimes i uses it as a mini-refugium in-tank and i fill it with chaetomorpha algae.

and do you really think it helps?
- yes, acclimation boxes are a godsend for aggressive fish

what's your proposed fish list if i may ask?

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought that as well. But I do have a pretty dominant one that I'm guessing will change to a male soon and was just a little concerned. She is kind of big and does a pretty good job of keeping the others in check lol

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a belated welcome to the forum, KatesReef13. :)

this go-around, the acclimation box isn't necessary because you have no aggressive resident fish already in the tank.

how long would you leave them in there?
- typically 1-3 weeks depending on observation / interaction of the resident fish

how do you use your acclimation box if you have one?
- i use mine for new introductions or to give a bully a time-out (only had to do that one time); sometimes i uses it as a mini-refugium in-tank and i fill it with chaetomorpha algae.

and do you really think it helps?
- yes, acclimation boxes are a godsend for aggressive fish

what's your proposed fish list if i may ask?
Sure, I had also gotten a Molly Miller Blenny with the tangs but he slipped through the egg crate as soon as in put him in haha
The Anthias is chasing him around, but she seems to quickly stop, so I think he's okay.

The fish left on the list/considering are:
Pair of Black Ice Clownfish
Sharknose goby
Geometric pygmy perchlet
Radial Filefish
Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Blue/Green Chromis
Midas blenny
Firefish goby
Green mandarin (long ways down the road)

Some of these I'm still researching and I want to see how the tank handles the load as I go along before I make the list final.

Thanks again!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't forget the mirror trick as an additional aid after the new fish is released into your tank. :)

Back