Acclimating Anthia

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 5 Bimac Anthia and usually place new fish in an acclimation box prior to release in the DT. I’m concerned about doing this to 5 fish, as my box may not be big enough, but also because they are Anthia. I’m not sure how they would do in a box for a few days, considering how active they are.

My question is, since there are 5 new fish, could that make a difference on any aggression toward them? As in, is there strength in numbers in this case?

My stock list:
Kole tang
Coral beauty
Lemon peel angel
Royal gramma
Lemon drop damsel
Watanabe angel

My real concerns are with the tang, the coral beauty, and the damsel.

If I did release them without time in the acclimation box, it would be after making a minor rock scape change, and after lights out

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 5 Bimac Anthia and usually place new fish in an acclimation box prior to release in the DT. I’m concerned about doing this to 5 fish, as my box may not be big enough, but also because they are Anthia. I’m not sure how they would do in a box for a few days, considering how active they are.

My question is, since there are 5 new fish, could that make a difference on any aggression toward them? As in, is there strength in numbers in this case?

My stock list:
Kole tang
Coral beauty
Lemon peel angel
Royal gramma
Lemon drop damsel
Watanabe angel

My real concerns are with the tang, the coral beauty, and the damsel.

If I did release them without time in the acclimation box, it would be after making a minor rock scape change, and after lights out
There is strength in numbers but more for reducing stress to the individuals of the group.

Always hard to tell who is going to be the bully. I would have guessed the coral beauty. You mentioned the tang though and if he is a bully I do have a suggestion. Get a mirror 12x12 and put it in the tank. The tang will then direct his attention there.

Give it a day or two and wean him off the mirror and see how things go.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need more acclimation boxes you can do what an LFS I was at today does: They use plastic strainers from the kitchen aisle. Those strainers float, nice size, are super cheap, and keep the new and old fish separated.

I picked up three Bimac anthias a few weeks ago. One died in quarantine (neurological issue I believe). The two surviving ones were added to the tank early this week. The pair did not bicker much in the QT tank but now that the more dominant one is settled in chases the less dominant one around quite I bit. No fin damage or feeding issues with the less dominant Bimac. I am hoping the aggression settles down eventually.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had planned to release them after two days in the acclimation box…it’s one of those net contraptions with the suction cups. Well, before the lights went out the night I planned on releasing the fish, the suction cups failed and the quintuplet escaped into the DT.
There was some significant aggression from the coral beauty, and even more-so from the damsel. None from the tang. There’s a little aggression among the group.
I managed to catch the coral beauty and damsel last night, after a few days of watching the attacks. They’re in the sump.
One Anthia has a pretty beat up pectoral fin and was scratching on that side last night. That’s actually when I decided to get the trap out.

I hope it heals up quickly. There’s also some aggression from my Royal gramma, which I didn’t see coming

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need more acclimation boxes you can do what an LFS I was at today does: They use plastic strainers from the kitchen aisle. Those strainers float, nice size, are super cheap, and keep the new and old fish separated.

I picked up three Bimac anthias a few weeks ago. One died in quarantine (neurological issue I believe). The two surviving ones were added to the tank early this week. The pair did not bicker much in the QT tank but now that the more dominant one is settled in chases the less dominant one around quite I bit. No fin damage or feeding issues with the less dominant Bimac. I am hoping the aggression settles down eventually.
That strainer idea is genius!
I hope your fish heals up. I purchased 5 because I didn’t want to get 3 and have one die, then be left with 2 as in your case

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet would be the lemon peel wrasse. I’ve had one and it was a bully.

But, in the past I went to Lowes/HomeDepot and purchased a small sheet of lexan/plexi, and made my own box. Mine is about 18”Wx18”Hx6”W. Cheap.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a mirror on one side of the tank to distract the larger fish for a few days?

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a mirror on one side of the tank to distract the larger fish for a few days?
Yeah I had planned on doing that until last night when I had enough of the damsel’s antics. I caught it and and the coral beauty and sumped them. I was gonna give the damsel to a friend but it somehow made its way to the return pump chamber and is now history.

The coral beauty and Kole tang are sumped. So I’ll be looking for peaceful replacements. I say I’m done with tangs but I might be talked into getting another blue hippo.

To that point, what are some good alternatives to a bristletooth tang? In terms of grazing. I don’t like the looks of a fox face so I won’t get one of those

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had planned on doing that until last night when I had enough of the damsel’s antics. I caught it and and the coral beauty and sumped them. I was gonna give the damsel to a friend but it somehow made its way to the return pump chamber and is now history.

The coral beauty and Kole tang are sumped. So I’ll be looking for peaceful replacements. I say I’m done with tangs but I might be talked into getting another blue hippo.

To that point, what are some good alternatives to a bristletooth tang? In terms of grazing. I don’t like the looks of a fox face so I won’t get one of those
I have a damsel, anthia and coral beauty in my tank without issues but I have substantial rocks and cave space. My pest hunters are my 6 line and silver belly yellow wrasse.

My CB is my grazer in my tank but I rely more on a diverse cleaner crew for maintaining my rocks and the rest of the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a damsel, anthia and coral beauty in my tank without issues but I have substantial rocks and cave space. My pest hunters are my 6 line and silver belly yellow wrasse.

My CB is my grazer in my tank but I rely more on a diverse cleaner crew for maintaining my rocks and the rest of the tank.
Yeah I’m sure I’ll be fine without my bristletooth. My lemon peel is a grazer too but it’s tiny right now.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m sure I’ll be fine without my bristletooth. My lemon peel is a grazer too but it’s tiny right now.
I tried a bristletooth early on in my 65g tank but it was to small for him and he was stressed.

Are you doing a fowler since some of those fish aren't reef safe?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back