how do you use ATOs?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm currently setting up my tank and I might get a Tunze nano osmolator. But i have a couple of questions

Firstly, is there one model of the tunze nano osmolator (the tunze nano 3152 ATO)? I might buy a used one from a guy and I asked him if it is the 3152 model but he said he is not sure.

Secondly, when doing water changes, how do you make sure that the ATO doesn't go crazy when you turn it back on after the water change? What if you put a bit of extra water so the sensor takes longer to activate, or the opposite, what if you put a bit less water than the sensor is used to it starts dumping RODI water into the tank and therefore dropping the salinity?

FYI my tank does not have a sump it is an AIO rsm c 130 tank.

(I know these questions might sound silly but I need to be sure before I purchase it)

Thank you!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm currently setting up my tank and I might get a Tunze nano osmolator. But i have a couple of questions

Firstly, is there one model of the tunze nano osmolator (the tunze nano 3152 ATO)? I might buy a used one from a guy and I asked him if it is the 3152 model but he said he is not sure.

Secondly, when doing water changes, how do you make sure that the ATO doesn't go crazy when you turn it back on after the water change? What if you put a bit of extra water so the sensor takes longer to activate, or the opposite, what if you put a bit less water than the sensor is used to it starts dumping RODI water into the tank and therefore dropping the salinity?

FYI my tank does not have a sump it is an AIO rsm c 130 tank.

(I know these questions might sound silly but I need to be sure before I purchase it)

Thank you!
Yes just the one nano, the other model is meant for bigger tanks and has two sensors on it, one a float switch the other a sensor.

if working on the tank, switch the plug off, remember to turn it back on.

with a nano it’s important to not add more water or trigger the ato when it’s not needed as this will lower the salinity , don’t worry too much, best not to do it too often (you will it’s hard not too)

if you add more salt water past where you have the ato float switch, this will increase the salinity as the ato will not turn on until the water drops past the float switch, so all the extra water you add will evaporate and leave behind salt, which is what will increase the salinity.

Buy a plug with a switch on it so you don’t have to keep pulling the plug out...it gets very tiring fast.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3152 is the Tunze nano model number.
You need to ensure when you do a WC that you put in the same amount as you take out, otherwise the ATO will respond accordingly.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One solution is to put a discrete mark at exactly the level that your ATO turns on. That way when you are monkeying with water volume in the tank, you will know exactly what you have to hit without triggering the ATO. I have my ATO in the return chamber of my refugium and I have marked the level with a piece of masking tape. When I do a water change, I do the change, turn on the pumps and either take out a bit of saltwater if it is “high” or add bit of saltwater if it is low.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One solution is to put a discrete mark at exactly the level that your ATO turns on. That way when you are monkeying with water volume in the tank, you will know exactly what you have to hit without triggering the ATO. I have my ATO in the return chamber of my refugium and I have marked the level with a piece of masking tape. When I do a water change, I do the change, turn on the pumps and either take out a bit of saltwater if it is “high” or add bit of saltwater if it is low.
3152 is the Tunze nano model number.
You need to ensure when you do a WC that you put in the same amount as you take out, otherwise the ATO will respond accordingly.
Thank you very much. One more question, where should i put the ATO? As i mentioned my tank is an AIO system and it has a hood. So not a lot of choices except the back chamber. Should i put the sensor in the return chamber, or in the first chamber (where the water enters first)?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. One more question, where should i put the ATO? As i mentioned my tank is an AIO system and it has a hood. So not a lot of choices except the back chamber. Should i put the sensor in the return chamber, or in the first chamber (where the water enters first)?
Return or even in the DT. Needs to be where water level is steady.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return or even in the DT. Needs to be where water level is steady.
not in the display, that is the last to drop, you put it in with the return pump, the last chamber as that is the first to show a drop in water, you can also put the water feed tube in the last or 2nd chamber, last is probably better.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the sensor in with the return pump, as others have said this is the first chamber that will drop with evaporation. Doesn't matter where you put the feed line, as the return section will also be the first chamber to rise with the addition of fresh water.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the sensor in with the return pump, as others have said this is the first chamber that will drop with evaporation. Doesn't matter where you put the feed line, as the return section will also be the first chamber to rise with the addition of fresh water.

in my experience the feed line is best in with the float switch as the water will take longer to raise the switch when it’s further away, so more rodi water will be added, but it’s less important than where the ato switch goes.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not in the display, that is the last to drop, you put it in with the return pump, the last chamber as that is the first to show a drop in water, you can also put the water feed tube in the last or 2nd chamber, last is probably better.
Okay so in the return chamber it is, if not in the display. Thank you!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back