How do you use GHL alarm notifications?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with how it works? Leaving aside the confusing alarm message syntax, have you been able to set up your system such that you're happy with how you get notified?

I'm having a hard time setting it up in such a way that it's adequate for my needs. Right now, we have two ways to be notified on alarm conditions - push notifications and email (or text, if you have an email sent to your phone number).

The push notification system seems pretty cool, but my problem with it is that I rarely see the notifications when they come in, and if I don't see them when they come in, I miss them. They remain on my iPhone notification screen, but I never look there. (Does anyone?) Is there some way to configure my phone so that the GHL push notifications are more "in your face"? Plus, if you enable KH Director notifications, you get notified on KH Director tests, not just alarms.

Otherwise, that leaves us with the email/text notifications. These would be fine, except for a major problem. If your Profilux is already in an alarm state, you won't be notified about a new alarm. Does everyone realize this? So you might have a relatively minor alarm condition, like a low dosing container that you haven't filled yet. Or you had a spurious reading from your KH Director and your KH Director isn't scheduled to do another reading for 6 hours. Or something like that. So while the Profilux is in this alarm state and something major is detected - like a leak, or a failed heater causing a high or low temperature - you will not be notified at all except via push notification.

This seems like a big problem to me, but I'd love to hear about any workarounds that people have come up with.

Thanks!

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suggest using email with something like IFTT.

With this you can configure any kind of alert method you can dream up. GHL push notifications are broken for me (I think something is wrong with my account), so I use IFTT to send SMS messages to my phone when it receives an email alert instead.

Another example, there are home security sirens on Amazon that have IFTT integration.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the problem is that you don’t even get email alerts for alarms, if the system is already in an alarm state.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer get e-mails for alarms or for any other parameters/settings. It just stopped working one day and I have not had time to explore a fix. Frustrating to say the least!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back