How does Cornbread and these other sellers get these crazy looking corals?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title...

As much as cornbread gets so much hate around here I can't get over all the crazy stuff he has/gets. How does he acquire the corals? I've noticed also a lot of independent vendors has a lot of the same stuff but then also really unique stuff you don't see at LFS...

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cornbred has better photo equipment than corals...

And does a bit of photo "optimizing"

giphy.gif

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I sniped these off cornbreds Ebay auction maybe Zeal and I were battling haha but there was a lot I didn't win. Also bought a Blow Pop Acro that look good but didn't make it and it was expensive

20191115_143611.jpg 20190907_224157.jpg 20171005_212329.jpg

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lots of vendors(myself included) work extremely hard to find the most awesome corals we can for our customers. When indonesia was open, we would import 30-40 boxes of corals in an effort to find 1-2 real gems. As I'm sure you can image, that gets to be very expensive. We also purchase from hobbyists, trade at shows and sometimes wait years for the corals to develop the corals we hope they will. Right now we have about 10 new releases that we need to name that have been in the TSA collection for over two years coloring up.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now we have about 10 new releases that we need to name that have been in the TSA collection for over two years coloring up.

I am great when it comes to names if you need any help....... You might say I’m kinda like a....... what is it? I don’t the name of it...... but yeah, I’m your guy....

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten a few things from cornbred and lost a few and a few did very well. I Rainbow Cyphastrea called Skittles and an Acro called Purple Fusion. Both are very happy. Fragged a few times to share with others

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about this also.

Jason Fox did a slide show at MACNA discussing his trips to Indo. He was finding a bunch of deep water acro varieties and through trial and error determined which would color up and thrive in captive systems. Some take years to adjust. Many simply don't.

With Indo shut down for legal export, I suppose some folks are looking elsewhere in the south Pacific to do the same.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do photo shop and blue light the crap out of pics to sell corals. Othere only edit to help show the true color as best as possible but still taken under heavy blue LED. This is common practice now because thats how people want to see the corals they are buying. I remember the first awesome acro I bought at a LFS when LED was new and they lit their corals with mostly blue LED, I was super upset when I got it home under MH. The bigger coral farms are picking the best corals and taking the time to grow out and color up these corals to offer for sale to hobbiests.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They trade with each other, rename already named stuff and try and generate hype. Some of the really popular Tenuis are just renamed versions of the same thing... not all, but most.

I think that you can trust if cornbred says that he has a WWC Shazam, then it is legit lineage... never heard of him passing around knockoffs like others have.

You can get whatever you want if you pay up, just like these people do. Sometimes, they pay many thousands for a single frag to be one of the first to get a chance to sell frags of it before the price starts to go down. This is a risk because one power outage can cost your... or even if the coral turns out to be a turd.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High end lighting (nailing the 400-460nm spectrum on PAR)

+

High end $3,000 DSLR CANON Mark5 Camera (or better)

+

High end $1,000 Canon Macro Lens

+

Adobe Photoshop Cloud monthly subscription

=

High end selling corals

Given all this above I could make Aiptasia look sexy and a must-have anemone

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back