How does my sand bed look?

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this here due to this question basically revolving around the algae and life of the sand bed. Whites on so you can see!

Rocks are all two years old. About five weeks ago I set up the tank eith the mature rock and added new sand. After 5 weeks, how does it look? Should I clean/vacuum more or is this a healthy amount of fauna?

qaq9ful.jpg

dP8N1qd.jpg

HStE0A0.jpg

b6o2DC6.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. Vacuuming will likely not change much at this point but it is a good idea to vacuum at every water change. So long as you regularly vacuum it shouldn't cause any issues in either case. The issue with sand beds is they require maintenance, IMHO. Others will say never vacuum. For now, it looks good to me and to be expected.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. Vacuuming will likely not change much at this point but it is a good idea to vacuum at every water change. So long as you regularly vacuum it shouldn't cause any issues in either case. The issue with sand beds is they require maintenance, IMHO. Others will say never vacuum. For now, it looks good to me and to be expected.
Thanks for the reply! I know some algae’s are going to grow but I don’t want it getting out of hand and turning into dinos or cyano. Should have added I keep my nitrates between 1-3 and phos between 0-.25. I haven’t really vacuumed much but probably should start. I usually just stir up the top layer during water changes.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with P-Dub. Sandbed looks fine. Is that a flowerpot on the back right side? I'm curious what it's for.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with P-Dub. Sandbed looks fine. Is that a flowerpot on the back right side? I'm curious what it's for.
Lol yes it is. I had a monster anemone that liked it and stayed in it, but it ended up dying after moving the tank. Now the fish all love going in the pot so we just left it for them.

Thanks for the infor on the sand bed. I’m still a bit new to reefing and want to make sure I’m on the right track!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I know some algae’s are going to grow but I don’t want it getting out of hand and turning into dinos or cyano. Should have added I keep my nitrates between 1-3 and phos between 0-.25. I haven’t really vacuumed much but probably should start. I usually just stir up the top layer during water changes.
There is a "Like" button...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back