How effective is light ramping?

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that it’s give the natural sunrise look and slowly allows the corals to wake up. As to it actually being effective to corals I have no idea.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly when I first started I had a four bulb t5 and when I woke up I tuned it on and when I went to bed I shut it off no ramping or no set time fornon or off and all my coral did great.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it for my fish mainly, my SB Reef Light suddenly turning on at full blast often made one of my clownfish freak out and it would try to run away, sometimes splashing at the top of my tank. :(

I have noticed that my coral respond to the down ramping in the evening and will start to close up for the night, but that might be a function of reduced par.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I always liked about halide lighting... automatically does a 'ramp up', and even a bit of 'ramp down'.

Non-dimmable T5 here... no ramp up, but I do turn on the blues first, and the whites later.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By using the ramping feature, yes fish jumping etc, but the benifit imo is too the reefer becuse of DLI. Daily light integral. The photo period.
Basically , You can give a coral 100 par for eight hours and it grows great. You can also give it 65 par for 12+ hours.

MR D Riddle explains it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/aafeature

My technique is to set the light to come on when I want and go off when I want. He peak photoperid and par is set between six and eight hours mid day. So if there are problems with too much or too little light, I increase either the intensity of the peak or the length and the tank still comes on the morning at 630 and gives me warm fuzzies.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it for my fish mainly, my SB Reef Light suddenly turning on at full blast often made one of my clownfish freak out and it would try to run away, sometimes splashing at the top of my tank. :(

I have noticed that my coral respond to the down ramping in the evening and will start to close up for the night, but that might be a function of reduced par.

Yea I love watching the coral wake up and go to bed

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back