Spectrum ramp up

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering is there any data on how various light spectrums effect coral during morning light ramp up? My main thought on this is: do coral generally prefer a different spectrum when par values are low vs when they are high?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the answer is no. I do not think the intensity of the light affects the zooxanthellae's ability to use it for photosynthesis or not. . . I could be wrong though.

@oreo54

Also, I am curious if there is any research regarding the effects, if any, light ramp up and down have on corals as compared to just on and off.

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters so much, as long as the spectrum is "right" in the first place. I do, however, prefer to mimic a bell curve rather than ramp, plateau, then ramp like lots of commercial lights do. I've found doing this gives time for everything to open up as the lights come up throughout the day, then over a few hours as the intensity peaks it more closely mimics the sun's actual brightness curve. I also find that you get less algae, and use less electricity this way.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%

Back