How far away can an ATO reservoir be from the tank?

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my 55g's stand is too low to accommodate a reservoir below it, it looks awful right next to it. Is the length of the tube the only factor to really consider?

I'm not trying to go super far, just like within a 10 foot radius.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also look at the pump rating you are using and consider the headspace generated by moving the ATO reservoir and the tubing used to bring water to your sump.

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a mile long run. It's not distance, its height you gotta worry about.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a hole saw behind my 60 cube and went into my spare bedroom/workshop to put my water container. When I set up the 150 I'm using the same container, just adding longer hose and a stronger pump. The wife loved that put a hole in the wall, Shaking her head

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far can your ato pump water? Many people have atos in the basement pumping to the first floor. It’s all how you design and how much head loss your pump is designed for

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 2 stories below my tank in the basement. I use a Tunze Osmolator 3155 as my ATO, but instead of the stock pump that came with it, I bought a litermeter III pump and just connected that to it. I pump vertically over 22 feet, I have never had an issue.

This is the pump:

Bluerrpilot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 2 stories below my tank in the basement. I use a Tunze Osmolator 3155 as my ATO, but instead of the stock pump that came with it, I bought a litermeter III pump and just connected that to it. I pump vertically over 22 feet, I have never had an issue.

This is the pump:

Do you push the water up from basement or pull it to your tank ?

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO will be on the other side of the room from my sump ~10-15 ft away. Its going to pump straight up 7 feet from the ATO then along the wall and down into the sump.. From what I hear, the Tunze osmolator pump is more than capable of doing this but time will tell :) It doesn't sound like your situation will be tough

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my 55g's stand is too low to accommodate a reservoir below it, it looks awful right next to it. Is the length of the tube the only factor to really consider?

I'm not trying to go super far, just like within a 10 foot radius.
A peristaltic pump will push water that far easily, and *should* stop any chance of a back siphon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back