How far to put tank from wall???

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new tank...wondering how far away from the wall I should put the tank?

Bulkheads are on the bottom.

We may make a shadow box background for the back of the tank, but it will be removable (probably about 3” deep).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a new tank...wondering how far away from the wall I should put the tank?

Bulkheads are on the bottom.

We may make a shadow box background for the back of the tank, but it will be removable (probably about 3” deep).
If plumbing is through the bottom, and you have no other need to access the back of the tank, I say flush up against the wall. If you do need it away from the wall for cleaning purposes or other reasons 3 to 5 inches should be enough.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends.

What for do you need behind the tank? If your bulkheads are through the bottom, and you're not going to have any hang on equipment back there... I suppose you need enough room for lighting cords, or what have you.

I suppose you might be wanting to run a cleaning magnet back there...

Mine is in contact with the wall, but it's a bit of a different implementation :)

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If plumbing is through the bottom, and you have no other need to access the back of the tank, I say flush up against the wall. If you do need it away from the wall for cleaning purposes or other reasons 3 to 5 inches should be enough.

Thanks! That is about the distance I was thinking!
Depends.

What for do you need behind the tank? If your bulkheads are through the bottom, and you're not going to have any hang on equipment back there... I suppose you need enough room for lighting cords, or what have you.

I suppose you might be wanting to run a cleaning magnet back there...

Mine is in contact with the wall, but it's a bit of a different implementation :)

Just trying to brainstorm if there are reasons to have the tank from the wall. Did not want to place it against the wall and be in the middle of set up have to move it lol

We will need to clean the back of the tank glass because of the shadow box background, so that is one thing we are considering. And I would like to be able to have room to clean up any spills and maybe prevent some damage to the wall behind the tank from moisture.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far enough to clean things up back there (enough room to scrub the back with a magnetic cleaner is very handy) and to keep the cords well organized.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back